Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Win Win


Often when I do workshops or classes I am hired by local agricultural associations. Their purpose is to educate their members and potential members. Another purpose is to raise funds for the organization so there is often a raffle.

I always buy $20 worth of raffle tickets and I usually win something. I really don’t need to win anything because I already have more stuff than I use so I usually end up giving my prizes away to those that look like they could use whatever I’ve won.

One year I won a set of hideous drinking glasses. There was an elderly woman next to me that was disappointed she didn’t win them, so I gave them to her. It totally made her day. The next year I won some protective gear that one of my students didn’t own, so I gave her my winning ticket and she claimed and kept the prize. Last year I won two tickets for some concert in Portland by some group I had no intention of ever listening to let alone attend one of their concerts. There were a lot of people disappointed that they didn’t win them so I let them roll the prize over to the next winner, and they were won by someone that was visibly disappointed that they hadn’t won them a moment earlier.

This year I won something I can always use so I kept it. I didn’t feel bad because I did share half of my tickets with someone, and one of my students won two prizes, one being the grand prize.

It’s exciting to win and it is often more exciting to share the bounty making others winners as well.

7 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

I'll bet you shared (share) your toys, too.
It gives one such a nice feeling to do that.

4:34 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

I always get suckered into buying raffle tickets and "chances" on this and that. Especially at work. They run raffles several time a year, raising money for one thing or another. On the rare occasion that i do win something, it's usually something I don't want or need. But it's not hard to find somebody who did want it and give it to them. Makes me feel good three times. Once that I won something, once that I made someone else happy, and once that I got rid of a thing I really don't need. A chance like that can make four or five bucks go a long way.

6:42 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I've always been the typr that rather give things away than sell them Clutter free is good.

5:27 AM  
Blogger weese said...

Hmm, I never win.

But what struck me about the post was the title.
I remember when my son was very little I must have used the phrase "win win situation"
He got the concept but forgot the words. One day - in a completely appropriate context he said to me "Hey, this is one of those get get situations"
I loved it.
We still use it today.

12:50 PM  
Blogger Guy said...

Weese, my wife's youngest son confused Ham for mayonnaise. He'd ask for ham sandwiches and immediately remove the ham.

7:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The person who won last week was one of the few people I was glad to see win if it wasn't me! Not that I would have objected to winning that grand prize.................

8:55 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Being you were both in my same class I was rooting for you both. And what about that guy that won six times. It was so good seeing you again.

9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home