Friday, April 24, 2009

Cutting Glass


I once had an accounting teacher that often said, “No matter how fast you go through a puddle, a little mud has got to stick.” This makes me think of all the things I’ve learned over the years from classes I’ve takes. One particular class came in handy today and that was a stained glass class that I took years ago.

I finally got around to fixing all the broken glass in my greenhouse from the storm damage from last year and this year. I built the greenhouse about 15 years ago with glass that I got from people that were replacing their windows and glass doors in their homes. Wind and flying debris took its toll.

I had two glass door panels on the roof shift and crack. These panels were made before tempered glass was required in sliding doors. They were, however made from thick quarter inch glass. I was able to remove them without further breakage. I replaced the roof with new panels. There were several 40” X 17” windward windows that were blown out and I used the salvaged glass to replace them.

I still have all my glass tools; an oil filled cutter, T-square and nippers. The tricks to cutting it are to lubricate the glass with oil on the cutting line, hold the cutter as vertical as possible, score it in one motion and snap it apart quickly after scoring it. It takes a while learn to cut glass properly and it feels good knowing that I took important lessons away from my stained glass class. I can’t even imagine how much it would have cost had I used all new glass for this repair.

3 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

I keep thinking about 1/4" untempered glass panels in the roof. eek! Would have made me want to wear a hardhat in the greenhouse. But I know that you do the best with what you can get hold of. I frequently do the same myself. The wife will say "Why did you do it like that?" and I'll reply "Because it was free." For window repair I will usually visit the nearest sign shop and rummage through their scrap plexiglass and lexan sheets. They always have scraps and will usually sell them pretty cheap. And you can cut it on a table saw. And the real plus, since I'm a natural klutz, I don't have to worry about slicing myself in half with my project. I hate it when that happens.

6:12 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, I was trying to break it with a rubber mallet and it wouldn't break. Pretty strong that 1/4 inch stuff is.

5:38 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Come to think of it, 1/4" of anything is going to be fairly stout. My boss once got hold of a scrap of 1/2" lexan and he discovered that it will stop a .22 bullet. That was startling.

6:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home