Saturday, April 18, 2009

Remember?


Like many people I live in fear of forgetting things. I work better from lists so I can check off what I’ve done and focus on what is before me. Sometimes I forget to make lists.

I waste a lot of time by forgetting. I’ll be ready to get to work on a project and realize that I have to go back into the shop to get a tool. Then I forget the right size screw and I go back again, then I find I’m missing a part and search for that and end up going to the hardware store. It’s a wonder I ever get anything done.

I forget my sister’s birthday every year. Even if I mark it on the calendar I forget get. I no longer try to remember phone numbers; not even my own cell phone number. I have no idea what my license plate number is.

I went grocery shopping with a list last night. I know my list is only an impression of what I think I need to get, but I always forget to add things. There was something in the back of my head that was nagging me that I was forgetting something that I’ve been needing to get for weeks that never makes it onto my list because I keep forgetting it. It was something made of paper. I went through a mental list of paper products that are available. I don’t use paper plates, napkins, or cups. I don’t buy newspapers anymore; the Oregonian is all fluff and the Astorian is totally a biased propaganda hand puppet of its publisher. I didn’t need a sketch pad.

In a flash I remembered I needed envelopes and furthermore it jogged my memory to remind me I needed power steering fluid. I felt good that my memory finally worked but was soon returned to reality when I got home and realized I forgot to get postage stamps.

Oh, and before you suggest I use Ginko Biloba, I have a bottle of it and I always forget to take it.

13 Comments:

Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

Same problem here, but I also lose things. I have to put everything that I use daily in the same place or I can't find it. It helps to have a super small place because there will be less area to cover in order to find my stuff.

4:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember if you forgot that roll of shit tickets, coffee filters work in a pinch.

7:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Postage stamps??? You still physically mail things?? Oh wow, that's just weird. You are old aren't you?

LOL!! Damn now I better remeber to bring that book next weekend or you'll really harass me. No wiat, you won't remember it either so I'm safe.

7:30 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Good lawd, don't get me started. My desk top is covered with lists and the hutch is papered with sticky notes and I still forget things. I take a list to the store and forget to look at it until I leave the store and have to go back in for the stuff I forgot. I've been like this all of my life. I think when I get old enough to actually start Forgetting things, I won't notice much.

7:49 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Lists are wonderful things!
Just wish I could remember to take them with me or where I put them...

8:52 AM  
Blogger Uncle Walt said...

My theory is ... if ya didn't remember it, it ain't important.

12:05 PM  
Blogger richpix said...

My memory's good, it's just not very long.

12:07 PM  
Blogger Auntie said...

My theory is, if you don't remember it, it probably never happened.

2:41 PM  
Blogger g said...

in my business, forgetting things costs money or time.

it is why i:
http://www.rememberthemilk.com/

this is the getting things done list on steroids. and it's a fun program to use too.

7:17 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Tango, I can generally find things, but remembering what I am looking for is a different subject.

Anon, "Shit tickets" Too funny. I bet this was F Lee. He's got the best jargon.

Yes, CC I still use the nail system and analog clocks.

Darev, that a positive of outcome.

Beth, you could blog them...

Walt, That depends on what sort of test you are failing.

Rich, as long as you remember to return here.

Auntie, that's the red wine talking.

g, sometimes you can save a lot of time and money forgetting to go places.

10:54 PM  
Blogger loopymamain06 said...

oh yea read my saturdays blog and see what I forgot! weird that you should blog about forgetting on that day guy......

6:27 AM  
Blogger MissKris said...

Oh, Guy! You crack me up!!

10:32 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Loop, I forgot to check.

Kris, the next step for me is to be put in a corner with a flash light.

2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home