Friday, April 17, 2009

Farm Trucks


I always get a laugh when ever I see one of those commercials that are selling some brand of agricultural products. The farms are quiet wonderland s of sweet farm children, old tractors and well kept pick-up trucks with bushel baskets of apples.

I’ve never seen a farm truck that was in any road worthy condition out in the field. Most farm trucks are too broken to fix economically, but they still run and can haul things around. The farm that I worked on as a boy had a farm truck. It didn’t have breaks. It was missing body parts and there were cracks in the windshield and the mirrors were missing. However at 14 years of age I learned how to drive with that truck hauling flats of tomatoes or whatever we pre-grew in the greenhouse out to the fields to be planted. At harvest time I would drive that truck loaded with bushels of tomatoes, corn, peppers, egg plant, squash or crates of cabbage.

Whenever my present truck develops a new quirk I call it a farm truck. So far two windows won’t roll down, the blinkers get stuck on without flashing. There is a crack in the windshield and there is a dent on the tail-gate. How long before it is left to rust in a pasture.

9 Comments:

Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

That reminds me of a vehicle I saw in Warrenton yesterday, parked at an apartment complex with "Farm Vehicle" license plates. It was a very old Honda painted flat black. Wonder what it is used for.

4:49 AM  
Blogger Donna. W said...

This reminds me of an inside joke between me and Cliff: Cliff likes all his vehicles to look good. A former neighbor of ours, a rather accident-prone guy, banged up his almost-new pickup several times. Cliff expressed his sympathy, and the guy said, "Oh, it doesn't matter. That's a WORK truck!"

So when we see an unsightly pickup on the highway, we look at one another and say, "Work truck, huh?"

4:54 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

I think your truck fits you to a T. Don't ever get rid of it. It's quirky like you !

6:04 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

God, I love farm trucks. It's always my first choice of vehicle, even though we have nicer ones sitting in the driveway.

I knew an old cattle rancher that used Cadillacs instead of farm trucks. It was funny as shit to watch him hauling ass through the pasture.

6:47 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

I was out on a farm many many years ago the the "work truck" was an old willys jeep that boasted neither doors, windshield nor hood. The back had been chopped off and a wooden pickup bed built on. The wood was so warped you could have used it as a skateboard park. It was pure genius. Like a Norman Rockwell painting on dryrotted wheels.

8:46 AM  
Anonymous Ginger said...

I have friends who get a new work truck every year for their business...they trade in the 'old' for a new. But this year might be a different story...since business is down and they can't make the payments...they are thinking about putting the keys on the seat and telling the bank to just come and get it...they are looking for older models to drive until the economy turns around. So, if your 'farm truck' is paid for...you're way ahead of the game...plus...it rains alot here...who needs the windows to go down? Quote from Gwen: "We marry it, and bury it"...refering to her truck :)

9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a nephew in the wheat farming business in Odessa, WA. He's in the "don't-have-to-make-payments-ever-on-anything" bracket and has barns, shops and garages that are finished, heated and pristine enough to throw down a picnic on the floor. Vehicles are all the same. I don't think his affluence is in play, but his OC. Way deep I think there's a spot in him that wants to go racing across the fields in a "farm truck" and not care about anything. I also think the spot's getting smaller and smaller.

10:42 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Tango, Warrenton VA, not Oregon. We don't have farm plates out here. I wish we did.

Donna, cute and true.

Auntie, and more so every day.

Syd, Darlin, good to see you still visit. I thought you were pissed off at me because of that blog I sent your way. Did the Caddy have horns on the front?

Darev if they run you can still work them.

Ginger, love that Gwen. She has quite the fleet.

Anon, there are some big fields in wheat country, if you don't go fast you may never get across one before the weather changes.

9:25 PM  
Blogger Rust-O-Rama said...

I just want to say thank you for sharing a great information.I've read a lot of blogs but most of them are boring. Your article made me feel fascinating. I am going to share this information with my friends on social media networking sites!
Rocker Panel Repair Experts , Rust Repair MA

5:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home