Monday, April 20, 2009

All from Impressions



If you look at impressionist art you can often see exactly what inspired the artist. Keep that thought in mind as I digress.

Kite flying is difficult in a neighborhood with so many obstacles such as trees and utility poles and lines. Kites are meant for open fields and the beach.

Three of us were riding horses at the beach on Sunday. There was a lot of traffic on the beach and there were also a lot of kites in the air. Kites freak horses out. It’s like throwing a Frisbee over the chicken yard. Chickens just go nuts when anything large flies over them at a low altitude. Horses must imagine kites to be dragons, especially when they rip back and forth and dive and ascend at high speed.

When riding on the beach so many things freak horses out like the surf, the line between the wet sand and the dry sand, shore birds, dogs, children and the general vastness. Riding horses at the beach is often no day at the beach, if you know what I mean.

OK, I’ll digress further while tie it all together. So we were riding our horses on the beach and I spotted a kite in the distance. It wasn’t a diamond shaped kite, it wasn’t one of those modern winged kites and it wasn’t a box kite. Do they even make box kites anymore? It was more like a diamond shaped kite without the straight line between the points. It had curved material between the points.

This left me with an impressionist image for me to undo in my mind. Then it dawned on me. I asked my riding partners if they saw anything in the kite in the distance. They didn’t see what I was seeing until I shared my vision with them. I told them that we needed to go into the kite business where we will make Jesus Kites; then one of my companions saw it and said, “We need to name it Cruci-Kites.” Our other riding partner just smiled and shook her head in silence.

Here’s what it might look like when flown in a neighborhood:

10 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Are you the kind of person who sees all sorts of shapes and images in clouds? Interesting digression(s) but I wouldn’t rush to get into that particular kite making business. You’d have certain groups knocking them (and you) out of the air.

5:45 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

where can I buy one and would I be forced to go to confession for merely wanting one?

6:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was down there 'tween the shipwreck and Ghart yesterday....saw three or four people on saddle horses around the Sunset Beach cut...saw the para sailor and windbuggies....thought of you but couldn't recognize any faces on the riders..I swerved way up by the high tide line to give the horses some space...I know how it is..Used to have a mare that hallucinated goblins or something...must'a been something wrong with her eyes..Also, sonic booms are something they never seem to get used to...

8:22 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Beth, so you don't think I'm going to be a Jesus Kite Suprestar...

Auntie, We'll make a BVM one for you.

Anon, it could have been us. We were on a brown and white paint, a black and white paint and a solid black horse. Thanks for being considerate. We try to keep out of the traffic lane, but we often have to move around because of the stuff ahead that frightens horses. We rode from Parking lot A past the Iredale and got off the beach at Delaura. Then we rode through the woods back to the Iredale and took the beach back to Parking lot A. It was a good ride, but my butt is sore.

8:49 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

You could team up with Norman Greenbaum and call them "Spirits In The Sky"....

Jesus Kite Superstar....

Sheesh!

9:41 AM  
Blogger MissKris said...

I shared this with my daughter and when she got to the photo her comment was "Trippy!" I have to agree.

10:33 AM  
Anonymous Tim Parish said...

"Do they even make box kites anymore?"

GASP! Sacrilege! You are in desperate need of box kite education. :-/

hehe

6:03 AM  
Blogger Guy said...

Thanks, Tim. I just never see them here. Good to know they are still out there.

6:22 AM  
Blogger Nulaanne said...

I have never liked the impressionist. I alway thought that if they had better glasses their paintings would look better.

12:36 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Nulaanne, It isn't all bad. Your avitar is impressionist.

7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home