Tuesday, May 19, 2009

I "Can" Count to 51


The person who is my source for hay let me know that she had fifty bales to spare, so I made the pilgrimage to Jewell first thing Sunday morning. This hay is absolutely the best. I can buy $19 bales of orchard grass and sometimes the horses waste it, but this hay from Jewell has all sorts of goodies in it. The horsed leave tongue prints on the mats from licking up every last crumb. The bales are smaller and lighter, but there is never any waste. It’s also easier to figure how much to feed; I go through one bale between two horses every day. I know that I will run out of hay on July 6.

The funny thing is that I can fit 40 bales in the horse trailer if I pack it right, nine bales in the truck bed and U usually throw the extra bale in the trailer tack room. Counting bales is a lot like counting sheep or chickens. Get distracted for a second and you lose count. I always try for 50 bales, but I usually end up bringing home48 or 49.

This time I purchased 51 bales, and when I got home an unloaded there were 51 bales present. Finally I’ve learned how to count.

5 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

Yayyyyy! I am so proud. Now we need an accurate count of the bees, please.

8:17 AM  
Blogger Donna. W said...

Just curious: How much do you have to pay for good-quality square bales there?

9:30 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, that's what your sister is doing these days.

Donna, 60 pound, two string Eastern Oregon Orchard grass is $19.50 a rectangular bale, 150 pound 3 string alfalfa is about $17 per bale, and the local 40 pound bales the horses love is $3 out of the field and $4 out of the barn.

9:35 AM  
Blogger Paula said...

Hard to count cattle too. There always seems to be one or two behind the other or behind a tree.

6:59 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Anything that isn't evenly spaced as is in motion makes it difficult, but that isn't bales of hay so I have no excuse.

5:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home