Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Skunked


After living here for over 21 years now I had never seen or smelled any signs of skunks. We had a big storm in 2007 which blew down nearly all the trees where I live, and logging took all that remained. It seems now we are living in a skunk friendly environment.

I smelled the first spray a few months back, but the other night it got close to home. It was in the evening and the smell came into our home with closed windows and doors. A few moments later we saw our hairy tuxedo cat looking at us through the glass door. This cat looks a little like a skunk so we envisioned a Peppy Le Pew scenario going on where he was trying to romance a look alike.

He didn't get a full dose, but enough of one that he has been outside since. We did bring him in to bathe him. We looked up solutions on the net. Tomato Juice doesn't work, and we had limited success with apple cider vinegar and dish soap. We had limited success with hydrogen peroxide and baking soda.

We will next try skunk shampoo that we got from our vet.

10 Comments:

Blogger Auntie said...

Like Pepi le Pew and those cats he always had hard-ons for, did you accidentally paint a white stripe down you cat's back somehow?

4:24 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

You have my sympathy but try getting rid of that skunk smell from a 95 lb. dog (who hated water) at 11:00 o’clock at night. I wept in frustration.

4:34 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Both of my dogs got sprayed last summer. We spent so much time washing them with this and that it finally wore off. Luckily for me, working where I do, I quit breathing through my nose several years ago.

6:18 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

My dogs haven't managed this one. Yet. (Now I've jinxed them)

6:35 AM  
Blogger Trop said...

I had a morning newspaper route when I was a kid. My worst fear was not the perverted old man who stood naked at his door every morning waiting for me to walk by.

No.

My worst fear was skunks. I saw a lot of erect tails pointed in my direction over the years, but was lucky and never got sprayed.

9:06 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

I love skunks, and keep saying I'm going to get one as a pet, but you know.....the descented variety. Their little faces make me laugh.

9:39 AM  
Blogger loopymamain06 said...

aww...poor kitty....
loopster

11:53 AM  
Blogger dalia said...

my friend used hydrogen peroxide and dish soap on her dog, chloe, when she (chloe) got sprayed last week. she said it was a huge success.

8:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm amazed my dogs haven't been skunked yet. They are around I've smelled them and occasionally seen them moseying down the road in the morning.

One day I watched one exploring the edges of my chicken run. It even tried a little digging but hit the nasty sharp things I buried along the fence line and gave up.

8:47 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Auntie I once knew a trapper that told me that a darker skunk pelt was worth more than one with more white on it. It's a dark cat with a white belly.

Beth, Big dog big stink.

Darev, I guess a prison would stink, though I've never thought of it in that respect.

Syd, with your kennel I'm surprised as well, though wouldn't it be funny if TLF...No that wouldn't be funny at all.

Damn Trop, where the hell did you grow up?

Amy, they are supposed to be great pets, though I've never personally known anyone that had one.

Loopy, he's almost stinkfree now.

Dalia, We tried that , but it wasn;t good enough. The skunk-off shampoo really did the trick but there is still a little whiff on him.

Anon, I have an underground fence around my chickens as well.

9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home