Sunday, May 17, 2009

A Weak LInk


No matter how one tries to secure everything there is always a weak link. When I joined my new chicks to my established flock of hens I worried that the pecking order may be fatal for some but oddly it all went smoothly. I was pretty impressed with tolerance the established flock showed for the new chicks which are now half sized.

I built their enclosure to keep them in and predators out and it was all so good until yesterday when I went out to collect eggs. One of the new chicks was ripped apart and hung up on a portion of the chicken wire where some creature broke in with brute force. Another chick was missing as well.

I did my best to re-secure the fence, propping logs and blocks at any possible entry point. The creature found the weakest link and hopefully I can keep it at bay until I double my fencing.

5 Comments:

Blogger Donna. W said...

I've been in that situation many times in my life. Sometimes the problem was dogs, sometimes opossums or foxes.

5:09 AM  
Anonymous auntie said...

you need to sleep on your porch with a gun maybe. Or set a trap.

7:03 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Unfortunately for the chickens, there's no such thing as a predator proof fence. It's amazing how much wire a dog or a fox or even a cat will chew through or jump over for a snack. I think the best you can do is patch the hole and be glad only two are gone.

7:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've taken your warning to heart and won't put my new babes out until I fix the lock on their coop.

8:55 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Donna, add to that skunks and weasels.

Auntie, yeah, right.

Darev, now maybe if I thought like a warden I could design something, chicken adseg...

Anon, new babies coming on Thursday.

5:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home