Saturday, June 27, 2009

Dr. Octagon


Sometimes there is a long dry spell between my finding something interesting to listen to. Sometimes things fall into place when they are supposed to. I find something , progress to something else and then onto something else.

My thing with Rap started with the Flobots and then went onto Snoop Dogg and then it went onto Eminem. On this journey I learned it’s all in the production. There is a lot of shitty Rap and Hip Hop out there and there is some stellar stuff. Though I can’t stand Dr. Dre’s recordings, I have to give him credit for his production of the albums of others.

OK, I found someone new (to me) and a producer that is every bit as interesting as Dre. The Rapper is Keith "Kool Keith" Thornton and his character is Dr. Octagon; just like how Marshall Mathers (Eminem) is Slim Shadey. Kieth’s debut album Dr. Octagonecologyst is more than interesting even at first listen.

If you listen to Eminem you will hear a lot of great melodies, some I believe acceptable to be turned into Muzak, but you won’t get this with Dr. Octagon. With Octagon you will get sounds, strange sounds interlaced with rap. It really sounds like B-grade music from B-grade science fiction films.

The difference between the sounds of traditional rap and Octagon is I believe the product of the producer, Dan “The Automator” Makamura, a Japanese American Hip Hop Producer. Makamura seemingly broke the rules for Rap production and it makes every track on this collection dark yet interesting in a Chemical Brothers kind of a way.

If you aren’t already a fan of Rap, this collection will not change your opinion, however if you are, this collection may put a different spin on things for you. Here’s a sample for you.

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

10 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

You were right. It didn't change my mind. Sorry. In my mind, rap reached it's pinnacle as a medium with Run DMC's version of "Walk This Way" and went downhill ever since. I have problems with anything espousing thuggery and bad grammar.

6:14 AM  
Blogger Mike S said...

Every once in awhile I stumble across something I actually like, but it seems far less often with rap & hip-hop. Have picked up on some catchy little numbers of various styles that some commercials feature lately.

7:18 PM  
Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

I found this last night and am in the process of getting together a new driving CD

http://llcooljoetube.blogspot.com/

3:41 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, So I take it you didn't like Zappa's Thing Fish either. I still use the grammar from that one. Loved the way Thing Fish messed with town names like St. Loomis, and Los Vagras, Nevadra.

Mike, Music made to sell.

Tango, Well produced. I liked Ne-Yo, but it wasn't edgy enough for me. I like my hip hop on the nasty side.

5:27 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Guy, Lampoonery is one thing. Bad grammar is another.

6:18 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, I see you are on your sister's face book. Resistance is futile.

6:22 AM  
Blogger Bpaul said...

Dr. Octagon struck me as well. I listen to some rap, but I'm very fussy about it. He's on my short list.

8:10 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Bpaul, it isn't great, but it is interesting.

5:35 AM  
Blogger dalia said...

kool keith rocks. i also like roots manuva (grime scene, london) and i'm digging lupe fiasco.

12:09 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Thanks Darlin, more stuff to sample.

5:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home