Monday, June 22, 2009

Proper Places


I try to be orderly, but I often have so many projects that need attention that things don’t get put away in a timely manner. It is always a joy to put tools away that have served their purpose and knowing that this portion of the project is now over hopefully forever.

As I put away my digging implements I am still actively working with my fencing implements, but when I put them away I will have to drag out some carpentry and roofing tools so I can re-roof my shop then I’ll be doing some auto body work on the horse trailer.

I had a real sense of accomplishment with two small items yesterday. I was able to relocate a pocket knife to its proper location where I store my hay. I use the knife for cutting bailing twine. The knife was used by my wife on something in the greenhouse. It ended up on my dresser and sat there for months, but it finally made it back to its real home. I also reunited a roll of electrical tape with my electronics tool box. It was a good day for putting things in their proper places.

While writing this I was able to reflect on just how many tool boxes I have. It is no wonder that things get moved about. I have the following tool boxes:
Mechanical
Electrical
Carpentry
Plumbing
Electronics
Agriculture and Teaching Tools
Art Supplies
Clay Sculpting
Mechanical tools I keep in the truck
Horse Emergency Kit
First Aid Kit for Humans

Fortunately each box looks different.

9 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

I have one lousy little toolbox around here and I just discovered there's no hammer in it. My birthday's coming up - what do ya think? Good gift? ;)

4:40 AM  
Anonymous auntie said...

who would have dreamed you were so anal.....

5:09 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

You would weep in frustration if you were ever to see my workshop. It looks as if someone has picked up the entire building and given it a shake. I'm hoping this fall to give it a good cleaning and rearrangement. Between the shop and the house and me and the wife, we have tools scattered everywhere. She has her tools and I have mine, but they do tend to get mixed together now and then. I'm thinking of a color coding system.

7:46 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

You are a person after my own heart. I organize 24 hours a day. Being a woman most of my items go in decorative baskets around the house. I can't handle it when everything gets jumbled together.

I must say, however, you are a very busy person with all those tool boxes.

7:53 AM  
Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

I've always been anal about the same thing. Since I live in a bread box, it comes in handy. One piece out of place junks up my whole home.

10:44 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Beth, You can trust a man that gives a woman an Estwing hammer. It means he plans to stick around.

Auntie, I'd like to be. Have you ever seen my shop?

Darev and Linda, I didn't make my point. My shop is a total mess. I have too many ongoing projects to put everything in it's proper place, but I do feel good when I can put something away with confidence that I won't be needing it again in the foreseeable future.

Tango, and you drive a bread box as well,...or maybe a toaster Lovies, darlin. Don't shoot me. I know you're just itching to try out your new gun on a smart ass.

6:44 PM  
Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

lol.... that's okay. I get teased all the time about driving a box and living in one.

Nah....wouldn't shoot you, Guy.

Once I learn to throw rocks at 1,000 feet per second, I won't have to carry a gun.....or I could get strong enough to carry a cop instead.

7:10 PM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

Dude, you are my soul mate! Just ask anyone's who's been to my house. Even my kids' toys are separated by type. I like to be able to find thing and also feel that twinge of contentment when I get something back to where it belongs. Only with a family of five, everything gets misplaced and I border on losing my mind with this attitude at times--but we know it's for the best, don't we?

1:27 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Tango, now that I've seen your Face Book page I think the gun is fitting. Plus you have a job that has potential for danger so carry on!

Mo3, Odd I haven't been to your house yet, and I have had several invitations. I'd be willing to bet the Father of 3 is pretty anal about his tools.

5:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home