Saturday, June 13, 2009

Inept Yet Friendly


When should one cut their losses with someone who is inept? It is so sad that most inept people are very nice and you find yourself hoping for the best, but after several attempts to give them the benefit of the doubt there comes a time to cut ties with them.

Sadly they do at times give off a glimmer of hope and I have seen inept people find their way to the correct path within a year. Most times it’s hopeless.

I’ve hired people to do some work with me or for me in the past that didn’t live up to my expectations. This is why I do most of my work myself. Yes, it takes more time, but the result is usually what I had in mind.

I remember the last time I had someone help me with some three tab roofing. I worked to the left of the sky light and they worked to the right. The pattern on the right did not match the rest of the roof. The pattern wasn’t even consistent from row to row. I know he had done this sort of work before. What happened? He is a nice guy, but he is inept.

In scale there are the Excellent, the Competent, those that Squeak By and the Inept. I just hope that those who are inept will someday realize it and step back. You are really nice people for the most part, but it’s time to own up and step back from that which you are unable to do.

6 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Guess you won't be hiring me as an assistant...

5:09 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

When it comes to roofing or concrete, color me inept. I don't know enough about roofing to even have a stab at it and I refuse (flat refuse!) to do concrete. Many years ago a pal of mine and I walked off the last concrete job we had and I have never gone back. You need someone who has either a cool head or a quick knee to the kidneys in a crisis and I'm your man. You need a sign? I can do that. You need a roof or a sidewalk, call a pro. I'll be too busy that day.

7:35 AM  
Blogger g said...

in my industry, i've tried to make sure i have skills in every division of work. i wouldn't say i'm inept in any of them but there are a few squeeker bye's lol

10:19 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Hahahaha.....I read quickly most of the time, and that leads to problems. I thought you had typed 'Inbred but Friendly'. Hee.....'Well....that stands to reason.....wait....oh.'

Hey, if you need help sitting in an air conditioned house, I am your girl!

11:06 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Beth, I'd hire you to do nothing, just so I could hang out with you.

Darev, Yeah, I'll have one of those knees to the kidney please.

g, what about politics?

Amy, so you are inept at reading, eh?

5:39 AM  
Blogger g said...

you know how i feel about politics.

actually, i just don't agree with democrats. my politics are fine.

and of course there are three inept politicians on the port right now that can kiss my ass. but they know how i feel.

10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home