Thursday, June 11, 2009

Down Under


A long while ago I posted something about holes and how holes are irresistible to men. If there is a hole, a fellow has to look in it. I don’t know if holes stimulate the cave men in us or if we are more like ferrets that have to check out everything that is out of the ordinary.

With this said, I was thinking about all the caves, mines, tunnels and lava tubes I’ve explored over the years. In each situation I can say that I felt sheltered yet endangered at the same time. Visiting these places you can often see where entire sections have broken and fallen due to earth quakes, expansion and contraction or erosion. Look at the tunnel on Hwy 26 that collapsed on an ODOT worker a few years ago. Remember the concern over the tunnel in Arch Cape a few years back? If you visit the Ape Cave at Mt. St. Helens there are piles of rock that fell from above in this quake prone area.

Even shallow mines such as the abandoned gold mine on the 400 line in Clatsop County gives me the feeling of shelter and gives me the creeps at the same time. The earth can easily swallow people up. I remember visiting the Big Island of Hawaii and seeing bull dozers get swallowed up by unknown underground lava tubes. They were working the surface pushing rocks around and suddenly they were gone.

Maybe with being under the earth it’s the old “from dust to dust” adage where I realized at one day I will return to the elements that surround me. We can embrace the comfort of the ground and our fear of death all at once.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Auntie said...

That reminds me of a quote by Jack Handy I read yesterday.

“When I was a kid my favorite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school we'd all go play in his cave, and every once in a while he would eat one of us. It wasn't until later that I found out that Uncle Caveman was a bear"

5:09 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

I think it's some sort of primordial thing. A leftover from our earliest ancestors. Guys like holes or nests or dens.. a place where you can back in and bare your teeth at intruders. A defensible position. A place that is safe and well defended. Me, I'm looking at an underground house. Now if I can just win the lottery, I can get things in motion.

7:09 AM  
Blogger g said...

LOL Auntie! I thought of that handy as well when I was reading!!

I remember touring the cave on the 400 line with my dad when i was about 7 years old. i remember there being quite a bit of water on the ground.

7:10 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Auntie, Sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes the bear eats you.

Darev, Eventually we all get a house underground.

g, I bet you'd be surprised how small that mine actually is if you revisit it today.

5:10 AM  
Anonymous Ginger said...

More than a few years ago my brother was working in Alaska..He was out working in the forest and went to look in a hole along side a hill...it had some brush in front of it...it was a very dark hole...he leaned in...until he felt a warm breath on his face...as he scrambled back and as quickly as he could...pulling his pistol...the hole moved in his direction...it was a very large black bear. He instinctively shot...good thing he had a tag. He made the local paper for having shot the largest black bear w/a pistol. I'll bet if you ask him, he can still feel that warm breath on his face. I know there's some kind of moral here...bush covered hole..not to stick your face into one? Something like that.

3:54 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Poor bear was just in there for a nap. Is bear meat from a hybrinating bear any good? I understand their flavor changes at the end of a season.

5:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home