Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Exhaustion


I can always feel it coming. It starts with more and more frequent rest and the consumption of more water. Then my voice goes out and eventually I will stop to rest and I just can’t get going again.

A lot of the work on my house and property eventually leads to exhaustion. There seems to be an unending stream of digging, tree cutting, weed clearing, building and roofing. These are usually all-day projects, or all week commitments where I start early and end late.

One of my problems is that I’m so optimistic. I look at any job that I do taking much less time than it actually does. You would think that I would have learned by now that anything I plan as a one-day project will actually take four days; four “full” days.

You might ask why I tackle all these projects myself and part of it is an effort not to spend money. Had I hired out the two additions to my house I would have been out a couple hundred grand and I may not have been as pleased with the result. I can't understand how regular folks can afford to replace a roof. When I can no longer do my own roofing I will need to sell my home.

I have never had an excavator on the property that has done a good job and add to that, each time big equipment comes something gets destroyed. Fruit trees, collapsed septic tank lid, structure damage and digging in the wrong place or dumping soil in the wrong place.

My fussiness makes a long row for me to hoe. Maybe I’m getting too old for this. My joints ache at the end of a day. But oddly with a night of sleep I get refreshed enough to continue with more on the following day.

9 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

At least you can have pride in the fact that you know how to do these things and do them correctly and competently. I need a new roof bad but wouldn't dream of tackling it myself. Best case it would end up crooked and leaking worse than before. Worst case I would end up in the hospital with at least one broken thing. With a bit of research, I could write a technical manual on how to replace a roof. But that wouldn't stop me from screwing the job up if I did it myself. I am, as has been pointed out many many times in the past, an idiot.

4:48 AM  
Anonymous auntie said...

Take another nap!

5:42 AM  
Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

sigh....I could have saved myself a bazillion dollars if I wasn't so mechanically handicapped.

8:05 AM  
Blogger weese said...

I am alot like this.
A few years ago we tackled our bathroom renovations. I thought I was being clever by doing most of the work while my wife and son were away (less bathroom needs).
so i gutted the walls, and preps everything for tile in time for my wifes return as she loves to do tile.
I gotta say tho...hanging cement board ...alone... is something I really think I need to be done with now. :)
I may still be sore from that project.

8:45 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

I'm chronically exhausted. I know what will refresh me, but I haven't found the hubs to be that willing to help, so meh. Maybe developing a drinking problem will help.

12:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sigh, my husband tries, bless his cheap soul, but he's less mechanically inclined than Darev. Usually I wait until he's away and do it myself or hire someone.

8:46 PM  
Blogger loopymamain06 said...

sometimes it's a good exhaustion though......that's waht I need right now....a darn good "project"
loopers

3:58 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, thanks for the warning and I won't be hiring you for any projects when you retire in Oregon.

Auntie, I would love to.

Tango, for me it would be heavy machinery would save me.

Weese, It all seems easier when it's over.

Amy, We've started drinking again, too. It's pretty good.

Anon, does he get offended when you did it and he couldn't?

Loopy, come on out, I have several for you.

5:32 AM  
Blogger a mouthy irish woman? ridiculous! said...

your the boss applesauce.

7:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home