Sunday, May 24, 2009

Abandoning Law


It is interesting to me that I know six people with Law degrees that have given up practicing law. Think of all those years in school to find you don’t like your chosen profession. Everyone I know with a medical degree is currently in practice, but not the lawyers. This profession must be much worse than anyone can imagine.

It isn’t all that unusual that people with degrees find themselves working in fields other that what they were educated for. I understand that because you choose your major when you are 18 years old and by the time you are in your late 20s you see the world much differently. During my college career I changed my major every year and never worked in any of my fields of study.

Law is a serious commitment. You don’t just drift through academia and end up with a Doctorate of Jurisprudence. It takes time, money and brains to go through all those hoops. It also takes courage to abandon that career when you realize it was all a big mistake.

10 Comments:

Blogger Donna. W said...

I think what would bother me about the law is that they have to sometimes represent people who are guilty of horrible things; yet it's their job to get those people "off the hook".

4:52 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Lawyers - not my favourite subject.
Doctors - there's a severe shortage in this country and it's getting worse.

5:38 AM  
Anonymous auntie said...

Too many lawyers which may be why some don't practice.

7:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dog trained with an ex lawyer.

I bought my last used car from a guy with a doctorate in religion.

The barista I buy my Monday scone from has a bachelor degree in history.

In my warehouse one guy has a masters in education, another has a masters in literature. Both drive forklifts and load trucks for a living.

7:46 AM  
Blogger Uncle Walt said...

Lawyers are like IRS agents.

Too many of both.

They both make their regulations so complex that the average person can't understand them, and they do it on purpose to further the need for their own jobs.

Both are a detriment to society.

7:49 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Let's see... you choose a profession that has a reputation of being corrupt and inefficient. You are the butt of endless jokes and the point of numerous threats. And unless you are corrupt, you are not going to make any real money at it.

Holy snap.... that describes my job too!

I'm glad I didn't have to go to school for all those years to learn it.

8:17 AM  
Blogger g said...

when i entered college, my goal was become a construction attorney. it took me about 2 years to realize i didn't have the dicipline to become an attorney. i'm glad i came to that realization earlier rather than later.

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do they bury Lawyers 10 feet deep...cause deep deep down, they are really good people.

Moose

2:29 PM  
Blogger dalia said...

i changed majors three times. the second one stuck, but i question the choice every day.

3:36 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Donna, that could tend to wear people down.

Beth, sorry for a subject that is touchy to you.

Auntie, you'd think that if they were smart enough to go into that profession that they would have figured that one out before hand.

Anon, They all learned how to say, "Do you want fries with this?"

Walt, Oddly I've never met an IRS agent.

Darev, I bet you know more about the law than you'd care to admit.

g, especially since so many people have so many different careers over the years, how can one settle on just one?

Moose, good one.

Dalia, Stop it, you're just home sick.

6:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home