Saturday, May 23, 2009

Glasses



It’s interesting how quickly eye wear goes out of fashion. I remember my first pair of glasses when I was about 12 years old. It was a black plastic pair that was reminiscent of Henry Kissinger or Woody Allen. By the time I got into high school the fashion had changed to square wire rim and then it went to aviators. Then in the 70 substantial wire (metal) rims were back in along with photo-gray lenses.

For me after that was my contact years and I wore unfashionable glasses only when my lenses were bothering my eyes. Eventually I got a new pair that was round kind of like Harry Potter or John Lennon glasses. Those were in for about two years and then I got and still have ovular glasses, but my favorite pair presently is my rimless bi-focals.

The time is coming for a new pair. I have no idea what is in style. I think I’m a bit too old for those snotty plastic squinty things. I'm not one of those "Look at Me!, Look at Me!" types that would go the Elton John route. I have no idea why Bono wears yellow wood shop glasses. I hope that I find one of the styles I once wore would come back in fashion so I could save on the frames, but that never happens in ones’ life time. Any suggestions out there?

11 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Just avoid whatever happens to be in style these days – wearing those always comes back to bite you in the ass when you look at old pictures of yourself.
Never mind fashion – buy what (you think) looks good on you.

4:41 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

3 words.....Senator Betsy Johnson!

6:05 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

You are going to have to buy new frames, no matter what style you want. There's a vast and ancient conspiracy amongst eyeglass makers to never repeat a frame style or lens size inside of a twenty year cycle. That way old frames or lenses can never be retrofitted. But they always have something at least acceptable in the cheap rack, if you don't care about being in style. I'm thinking something small and Dumbledore-ish would look good on you. That would fit your style.

7:03 AM  
Blogger richpix said...

A topic I need to give some thought. I've been putting off getting glasses though my vision is going downhill. This is a real challenge for a photographer. I really don't care what they look like, just as long as I can see through the viewfinder when I'm wearing them. Right now all I have is reading glasses and I can take them off for working through the camera lens as there are built-in dioptric adjustments. However my long distance vision is now becoming fuzzy and I don't think I would pass the driving test any more. Aging sucks, I don't care how much wiser I am.

9:31 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

I have Woody aleen glasses, but i prefer to think of them as 'sexy librarian'. ;-P

10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get the black plastic Kissinger frames. Rose tinted.

2:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My vote is for the Groucho Marx type with optional eyebrows and nose...de rigeur!!

Moose

4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going for a monocle.

8:53 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Beth, I agree and the better looking stuff is always much more expensive.

Auntie, those barely qualify as glasses. They are more of a two piece windshield.

Darev, contacts look best on me.

Amy, having dated a few librarians I can agree that they can be very sexy. LibrarianAnon, I'd rather go for green tinted and see Emerald Cities all around me.

Moose, yeah, yeah, yeah...

Anon, and a gold tooth in the front.

6:03 AM  
Blogger dalia said...

bono is a douchebag, that's why. you would like nice in a light silver frame with a modified square.

3:37 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Dalia, my personal fashionesta! I knew I could rely on you.

5:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home