Thursday, May 28, 2009

Ace of Spades


I’m always amazed by how much antique garbage I find whenever I have a digging project on my property. In the past I’ve uncovered two cars. One was a Studebaker truck with the name Astoria Towing still readable on the door.

This began a digging project on Friday. Since no one has yet granted me my ongoing wish of a shiny new back hoe, I am doing all my digging by hand and I question my sanity with every shovel full of clay that I unearth. Amazingly I am finding a lot of strange stuff that was dumped and buried in my back yard years ago. I’ve found a few interesting electrical insulators. I found a lot of rusty hard ware. I found an electric iron and lots of broken glass and, vacuum tubes. I found a brick dump and some interesting rocks.

So far the trench is 45 feet long, two feet wide and two feet deep. I still have 75 feet further to dig and I wonder what I will find with every thrust of the spade.

10 Comments:

Blogger Donna. W said...

No arrowheads?

5:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why the trench?

My husband has promised me a tractor but I have yet to see it. If I ever do, you are welcome to borrow it.

Jenn

PS - Auntie gets really excited when you give her a carton of eggs with a ribbon wrapped around it.

5:50 AM  
Anonymous Auntie said...

Dude, save me anything cool.

PS - Auntie also gets a woody from getting a small can of Starbucks Doubleshot delivered to her desk. Thanks again, Jenn !

5:54 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Hopefully you won't find a previous owner of the property. That sort of thing tends to make ones life a bit difficult.

6:45 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

We find buried G.I. Joes – battle casualties.
For some reason, this never fails to delight my sons who are no longer little boys.

7:06 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

You need to have a digger party. Friends can come over and help dig the trench to uncover the treasures yet to be discovered.

4:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish we'd find something interesting instead of just nasty of dangerous, i.e. tons of broken glass. The owner of our property had a falling out with his Missus and took all her posessions out in the middle of the pasture and burned them. That left an unpleasant pile of plastic slag and glass to deal with.

9:48 PM  
Blogger dalia said...

planning a genocide?

10:11 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Donna, no arrowheads where I live. There are no rocks other than ones people brought it. The Indians here were more into fishing and beach combing. I used to find a lot of them when I lived in NJ but never one here.

Jenn, I had a neighbor with a shinny new back hoe visit last night. That's a load off my mind and back and knees and shoulders.

Auntie, I found a square brown bottle with stinky stuff in it. Jenn is a thoughtful darlin, isn't she?

Darev, no, he was present to take my money when I bought this place.

Beth, it makes you wonder what else is out there. Missing anything?

Jeff, thanks for the offer, but this sort of work I wouldn't impose on friends. I'd rather get together for something pleasant, like bacon candy bars.

Anon, That's a vicious dude that does something like that, and surprisingly common. I know many women who have had their stuff burned.

Dalia, no, just some work without a permit ;)

5:29 AM  
Blogger loopymamain06 said...

interesting blog guy, It got my mind just a going, and the comments and answers were interesting also...thanks
loopy

4:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home