Monday, May 25, 2009

Field of Dreams


The sunny and dry weather we’ve been having lately brought back a childhood memory. I drove by a hay field the other day. It was a breezy day and I could see the wind dancing on the seed heads of the grasses.

I’ve written before about growing up and living across from a big field. It was called the bean field, however the days of growing beans in that field had ended long before I was born. During my early life it was just a hay field. By the time June came around the field was thick with hay. When I made the field my private play ground I was just tall enough to see over the top of the grass, but I could easily go down and feel comfortably lost in my private jungle of grass.

I spent hours, days, months and years in that field. I discovered the insects of the field. I discovered warrens of rabbits. I discovered the birds that lived there. I discovered the joys of resting my head and body among the grasses and watching clouds drift by in the summer sky.

I remember being in the field at dusk and seeing a rise of fire flies flashing like millions of out of sync marquee lights or like fireworks from the next town over.

When I left New Jersey nearly 22 years ago there was probably only five acres of that field left. What was left wasn’t pretty at all. It had been developed into a shopping center on one end and the other end was the home for a bank and a failed shopping center that was never developed further than the cinder block stage. Though I haven’t seen it I understand all the remaining real estate of the field and the wooded hills in the back ground are all over-priced condominiums now.

When I drove by the local field the other day I hoped that there was a kid like me that lived near-by that is able to take advantage of the wonders that fields like that have to offer. I’ve forgotten many of the school lessons that I learned during those years, but I’ll never forget the lessons I learned in that field.

6 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

Some time back I went on yahoo maps and looked up the house where I first lived as a child and go the satellite map of the place. There used to be an empty field behind it with nothing but an air raid siren in it. But field and siren are gone now, replaced with a row of houses. And there was a huge field with a creek running through it in the other direction. That one is gone, too. I guess they ran the creek through concrete pipes and sent it underground. The field is full of either apartments or condos. I'm glad I didn't go back personally to look. That would have been hard.

5:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

May you always be out standing in your field.

6:12 AM  
Blogger g said...

Very nice write up! Your ability to capture these moments in time never ceases to amaze me. You also have the ability to bring me back to my own childhood.

It's what brings me back here! Thank you.

9:59 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, Thanks for the Idea for a future post.

Anon, it's a good place to be.

g, thanks, man. I wish my memory was better. I know I've forgotten so many things that would have made good posts.

5:21 AM  
Blogger RobbKidd said...

Your Correct,

The field is gone, it is now mostly a Parking Lot and the hill is ugly mini McMansions and Condos. Sarah and I just had a visit there, thank god we all left there...

4:13 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Robb, See today's post for my follow-up.

5:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home