Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Scotch Broom


We have a real invasive plant here in the Northwest called Scotch Broom. It was planted along high ways as a break, but ODOT realized too late just how invasive this plant really is.

Any open area here is quickly invaded and it chokes out nearly all the native plants. Even my new pastures were invaded and I kept up with them pulling up hundreds every time I walked through the fields. The woods that I had logged years ago sprouted scotch broom immediately. Those plants are now large so I use a weed wrench to pull them. They have a long straight tap root, so they can be pulled out. I’ve heard that the seeds can live and remain vital for at least 25 years.

Oddly these plants are somewhat attractive. They have a wonderful yellow bloom like forsythias. There are some that are blood red and others that are pale yellow, dark yellow, orange and pink. I was recently somewhere where I saw a dwarfed scotch broom with delicate stems and tiny white flowers.

This plant has a high oil content which is perfect for making fuel. It burns like napalm. t’s too bad that this weed isn’t being used for anything. There is so much potential but for now it only marks land that isn’t being tended.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Auntie said...

I have been noticing the bumper crop on this side of the river and over towards McGowan on the other side as well. I think it has all but colonized the old settlement and will not rest until it's taken over the historic St. Mary's over there.

5:39 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

At least it's pretty. We have the dreaded kudzu around here. Really vile shit.

7:05 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Sounds like the front door of a cottage industry. If you cultivated and harvested it, how long would it take to grow back? Broomfuel!

8:55 AM  
Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

I wonder if that stuff would grow behind my home. I've got a balled spot back there where nothing seems to want to grow.

1:07 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Auntie, Goats will eat it.

Syd, it's pretty invasive, not as bad as kudzu, but between scotch broom, English ivy and a few other invaders we are pretty well consumed with weed eradication around here.

Darev, as soon as land is bare it starts. Probably a three year crop would be an efficient yield.

Tango, hopefully it's too cold there. You don't want this plant, trust me.

5:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home