Thursday, June 04, 2009

Welcome Newbees


I’ve notice a whole bunch of new readers here over the last month or so, which kind of makes up for the readers I’ve been losing due to me pissing them off of one reason or another. I’m OK with people dropping out. I’ve dropped out of a lot of blogs I used to read and I’ve picked up a few new ones.

For all you new folks, welcome. Here’s what you may want to know so you’ll know what to expect:

The first Monday of the month is Sick Day where I spew about something I’m sick of, and you can generally expect a picture of someone vomiting to accompany the post. I get complaints about the photos, but I have no intention of changing that format.

I usually don’t ever email a response to a comment on the blog, but I do reply to comments on the comment page the next morning. I may not reply to comments on old posts. I moderate commenting on articles older than 15 days. This is where spammers tend to leave their messages and I figure it is easier to put up that roadblock than it would be to have word check.

I am one person who isn’t afraid to change my mind. I do it often, not usually back and forth, but I have been turned around by a good argument.

One thing I should do is link back to past articles so things won’t be so “inside” to new readers, but I don’t. It’s too much trouble. I have an entire laundry list of faults and quirks that I’ve discussed here at one time or another. I’m sure they will all come up again in the future, if not me then by the readers with memories from Hell.

My articles post automatically at 4:00am every morning. I try to keep a couple days ahead and I always worry that I will run out of things to post. I’ve come down to the wire on several occasions where I thought I had dried up, but somehow I squeak by when something comes to mind.

You are among the 80 or so unique readers here every day. By this I mean unique hits, not people that return here several times every day. About 10% of the readers post comments. I have no idea who the other 90% of the readers are, but that’s OK.

Any questions?

22 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

An increase in numbers here, too - new readers, lurkers (although I don’t really like that term). What’s up? Spring fever? A second wave of blogging converts?
But it is nice…
Hope you didn’t scare off your new readers with reference to your Sick Day posts and your faults & quirks!

4:55 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Well, since there are about a million new people getting on the internet every year, and nobody reads 99% of the blogs out there, they have to end up somewhere! It's only natural that they would end up at one of the interesting ones, right? And you cover the spectrum of ideas and thoughts, so a search engine would come up with lots of hits to your site. You are the Plato of our time.

6:02 AM  
Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

Keep on doing what your doing, don't change a thing. Even though I don't always leave a comment, I do read you everyday and enjoy the hell out of it. :)

6:18 AM  
Blogger Donna. W said...

Plato? Dave, seriously. I like Guy, but Plato?

6:59 AM  
Anonymous Auntie said...

okay, I have a question that I already know the answer for, but I think the newbies will get a kick out of it.

Dear Guy,

Why is it that you detest watching another person eat and usually will not eat in front of someone else. And, as an added bonus, can you tell us why you dislike potlucks so much?

Yours,

Auntie.

7:16 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Beth, you keep returning in spite of my faults and sick day posts. You are in inspiration to the new readers.

Darev, I'm with Donna. Bluto or Pluto maybe, but not Plato.

Thanks Tango.

Auntie,Eating and mastication is pretty disgusting, especially in public. Watching food being churned in someone's mouth sickens me. Drinking is acceptable. Pot lucks are just a game of Russian Roulette. I'm mean many restaurant kitchens are gross and they get inspected, but when people prepare food at their home how will I be assured that they don't have dogs licking their dishes and that their cats aren't walking around on their counters and did the people making the food wash their hands? It's a crap shoot and it a wonder more people don't get sick.

7:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guy,

Considering how you fee about watching people eat, I am honored that you have and still, want to go out for an occasional lunch with me. Do I gross you out too?

8:08 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Aw, c'mon....a little cat hair with your hashbrown casserole? It's extra fiber! LOL

10:39 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Anon, I don't recall lunching with anyone, having coffee, yes, but lunch, no. Let me know who you are and I'll let you know if you gross me out.

Amy, I have cats, yet I'm not into cat fiber. This fear of pot-lucks came from a woman that used to bake these wonderful things for our office, but then I came to find out that she had hundreds of cats in her home and a couple living in her car. Game over for all.

11:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps I lunched with someone who looks exactly like you...my mistake!

4:26 PM  
Blogger g said...

what is the population of istanbul?

6:12 PM  
Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

Approx. 12.6 million

6:50 PM  
Anonymous Auntie said...

But don't say it with your mouth full, G and Tango !

7:37 PM  
Blogger Nulaanne said...

Dear Guy,
I have question for you. Why do birds suddenly appear everytime.. Oh what that is a song. Never mind.

9:02 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Oh, that anon, no you don't gross me out. Your sharp nasty whit kept me from noticing the mastication.

g, Constantinople?

Thanks for fielding that one Tango.

Auntie, right you are.

Nulaanne, Close to you.

OK I lost control here, but I think things will return to normal.

5:32 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Ok, maybe not Plato. How about Mark Twain? Or Ambrose Bierce.

7:09 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, how about Bluto or Pluto?

Also Blue Mamba, Why not have lunch with you? You keep telling saying to me, "Bite Me!"

7:59 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

but she can prolly say it in that cool Russian accent !

11:32 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

"Now there's an image!"

12:43 PM  
Blogger Auntie said...

It may sound like this..... "Dah-link...(pause) .... BITE me, dah-link."

2:23 PM  
Blogger dalia said...

you didn't lose me. i've just been very very tired.

10:51 AM  
Blogger Guy said...

I never thought I lost you. I don't think I've had the chance to piss you off yet.

2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home