Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Road Corn


Darev commented on an article last week and I quote, “As long as there are no cornfields. Hate cornfields. Nothing good ever happens in a cornfield and scary crap lives in there. brrrr.....”

I find it so odd that I hear that from a lot of people that live in the mid west. After driving across the country I once came to realize that millions of acres of potential farm land is going to waste all over the country. The land I was talking about was the median strip on most divided interstate highways. The lanes are often hundreds of feet apart and usually planted in grass or shrubs. I say plant that land in crops; corn, soy, hemp. The rows go on for miles.

I mentioned this to a fellow from Iowa and he was physically shaken. He shivered and said “No more corn, please.”

9 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Reminds me of the saying here (as we wait for corn crops to be ready for harvesting) - "Knee high by July."
If you fear cornfields, just stay clear of them!

4:43 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

I know it's just a reaction from watching too many scary movies. Whenever there is a cornfield, something bad happens in it. I like corn, but not enough to go in there after it myself. Snap, no.

6:50 AM  
Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

I love the sound of wind going through a corn field where the leaves on the stalks have gone a bit dry.
I think it would be a great idea, Guy, but would it even be eatable after being covered by our exhaust residue for months on end?
...but then, what do I know?

1:27 PM  
Blogger richpix said...

Most places in the USA land isn't exactly at a premium. It would probably cost a farmer more to gain access to the median strips than any profit that might be gained.

On the other hand there are places like Holland where land is at a premium and they have found ingenious ways to exploit it. I spent my last three years of high school there and my first introduction to their space economy was seeing a farmer waiting for clearance from the tower to cross the runway at Schiphol Airport to tend his fields between the runways.

4:20 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Beth that should be knee high by the 4th of July.

Darev, for a guy that works with the worst of the worst to be afraid of cornfields is beyond me.

Tango, maybe just for ethanol production.

Rich, the Dutch are thinking. We are wasting a lot of land. I bet if offered someone would farm the strips.

5:28 AM  
Blogger a mouthy irish woman? ridiculous! said...

i agree. waste of space that could be put to good use.

and? the man could really hide out while napping or eating his donut. in a crop of hemp.

hehehehe.

10:22 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Mouthy, finally someone paid attention to the hemp comment. Gold star for you, Darlin.

10:39 AM  
Blogger a mouthy irish woman? ridiculous! said...

Pavlovian. :)

11:47 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

; ) Blowing kisses your way, Mouthy.

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home