Friday, July 17, 2009

Meadowfoam


I got some emails from a few of you about my products after I did the post about Burt’s Bees. I don’t normally talk about what I do, or make, or sell on the blog because I don’t want the blog to be a sales or promotional blog. However since so many of you asked I do produce a line of lip balms, and a hand and foot balm that actually puts an end to dry cracking skin. People also use it as a moisturizer.

The reason my stuff is different is mostly because it is simple with only two or three ingredients; two if unscented and three if it is scented or flavored. Most moisturizers, even the ones for sale at the Sunday Market are loaded with ingredients; many unpronounceable.

My main ingredient is meadowfoam seed oil. This is an incredible oil which is extremely stable for cosmetic manufacturing. I previously used grape seed oil which degraded quickly giving my products a shelf life of only a year. I have some meadowfoam products that I made three years ago and it is still as good as the day I made them.

I am not a chemist, but if you are interested you can get a lot of information about the history, the uses, the chemistry and biology of this remarkable seed crop that was developed and grown here in Oregon.
The website is http://www.meadowfoam.com/

Meadowfoam seed oil is pretty costly. The refined oil I use cost nearly $150 a gallon with shipping. The cold pressed oil cost nearly $350 a gallon.

My other ingredient is natural bees wax. Yes, I am a beekeeper and beeswax is one of the by-products of the hives. I don’t use any chemicals or medications in my hives. This is important because honey is hydroscopic and will absorb just about anything that it comes in contact with. The wax, which is a lipid substance will also absorb anything it comes in contact with. I feel confident that my wax and honey is about as pure as it can possibly be. I haven’t gone for organic certification, mostly because I think most organic certification is bull shit and my apiary is organically cleaner than most “organic colonies” I’ve seen. However, I cannot guarantee that some of the bees haven’t visited a neighbors flowers that received a dose of miracle grow. Honey bees fly over two miles to gather nectar and pollen. Drawing a circle two miles around any hive would mean patrolling 8042.5 acres for non organic food sources. That’s a lot of land and I doubt any certifier would bother going over every acre unless there were a toxic dump within a two mile boundary.

Rich, mentioned in a comment his doubt that Africa, where Burt’s Bees gets their wax, is as pure as they claim in regards to pesticide use. One never really knows. I am pretty familiar with the flight path of my bees and I feel I can attest that I have a pretty pure product. I feel good about it and the testimonials of those that use it are more than positive about the results they achieve.

15 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Will look at the site. Any (unscented) product for sensitive skin is worth checking out.

5:01 AM  
Anonymous auntie said...

I still have some of your products that have lasted over 2 years and just doing fine ! Thank you again!

6:23 AM  
Blogger weese said...

ok. now i need a product/ price list :)
yay...shopping!

6:25 AM  
Anonymous auntie said...

weese, you gotta travel to Astoria for a visit AND join Facebook to get some.......LOL !

6:48 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Just noodling here..... thinking off the top of my head... How many acres of meadowfoam would it take to produce the amount of product you personally make? I know you probably don't have the time or acreage for that... just wondering how much more organic would your product be if your own bees pollenated the flowers used? Or are you just sitting there with that exasperated look on your face again?

7:32 AM  
Blogger Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

Sounds bee-u-tiful! I'm on facebook and will be in Oregon at Christmas but way down in Grass Pants...how do I find you on facebook?

10:53 AM  
Anonymous F Lee said...

Back in the day the treatment for chapped lips was to rub cow shit on them--it didnt do anything for your lips but it sure kept you from licking them

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Auntie said...

F, that is freakin' genius, man. Thanks.

11:53 AM  
Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

Here's to a well paid car chase in your neck of the woods. :)

12:01 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Auntie, not true. You're just getting me back for calling you a bitch yesterday in public. I really do feel bad about that. Sorry.

So dear readers, you don't have to come to Oregon or join facebook

I will be happy to send samples to anyone at no charge so you can try it. Just email at brbpress@gmail.com

On facebook I am Guy Whowritesthis and I don't post very often. I only friend blog readers. You don't have to friend me for a sample. I do have to admit that Auntie does have a good idea for marketing.

F Lee good to see you're still kicking out there.

4:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you're finally out of the closet as a practicing beek. Now you have to reveal to everyone that you're a widely traveled Beek evangelist spreading the word of the holy Buzzers.

6:53 PM  
Anonymous Auntie said...

holy buzzers indeed, was that Moose on the Loose?

7:21 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

No, that was probably Critter.

10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep...Moose is currently occupied with his Argentinian honey.

Moose

4:12 AM  
Blogger dalia said...

i was just reading up on meadowfoam for something i've been mulling in my mind... we need to talk! email me!

:-)


(please)

8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home