Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Visit Review



This has been the year for blog meet-ups. Last month Trop came to town this month we had the honor of meeting Sacramento blogger, Lori Hahn and her wonderful partner, Danger Girl. It’s so strange meeting people that your only association with is the written word. Your mind makes up a voice for them. Though Lori has posted photos of herself in the past, I recognized her right away, but she looked better in person. She was also much quieter than I anticipated.

I also got to see a range of emotions that one never gets to see in print, like her stern parent-like disappointment that the Wet Dog only had wine in a box. But that disappointment faded into a cosmic joy on her face when Auntie bought us a round of port at the Silver Salmon. I could see the analytical senses snapping to attention as she sniffed the glass. Her eventual tasting left us all in nervous anticipation as though we were waiting to see if Elexehente’ approved and if the village would get to celebrate. She approved and all was good.

Laurie, Auntie and I discussed blogging (Danger Girl doesn’t blog) and Lori made it known that she is nearly at the end of her blog life. It is difficult for her to go on. Auntie gave up her blog, but misses it as an outlet. I on the other hand seem to keep cranking them out. I don’t know how, but the stories keep coming, however both Lori and Auntie miss the old days when I was often pissed off and jumping into local politics and wrote critically about people and places here in Dried Salmon County.

My reply, “Ehhh”, I really don’t care for politics anymore. Live and let live. My mind can still register the bull shit, but I no longer care to spin the myopic Us versus Them opinions. I still hold onto my opinions, but I just don’t write about them anymore and doubt I will ever do it again. I’ve used up just about all of my outrage and most of it doesn’t mean anything to the majority of the readers who aren’t even from here. So if you are returning here every day wondering if I will say something nasty about something or someone locally; all I can say is that those days are over. For now all I have left are stories, observations, the occasional Sick Day and the annual Death Pool.

Oh, but before I sign off for today, I’ve got a bone to pick with the Wet Dog. I took my guests there because you have a reasonably menu with a good broad selection and a great view. Why do restaurants feel that people need to be entertained while we eat? If I want entertainment I’ll go to a dinner theater. You’ve got this guy on stage singing Beatle songs through the crappiest sound system I’ve heard in a long time. The place is teaming with tourists that have to talk even louder so they can hear one another over the music. Next, how can you have an eatery with a full bar and offer only wine in a box? You didn’t have many of the beers listed on your board. The only thing that could have made it worse is if you had someone in a wet plushie dog costume going from table to table and creeping people out. I won’t be back. Rat bastards!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Auntie said...

Told ya we shoulda gone to the Gorge instead. But is was nice to be downtown for our walk-about afterwards.

Ah, the look on Lori's face when she was enjoying the Port was magical wasn't it? (and I too breathed a sigh of relief)

So, Critter and Daughter of Darev are next? This is addictive!

5:52 AM  
Anonymous Auntie said...

PS, I meant Ft. George, not the Gorge. Sheesh, no coffee.

5:52 AM  
Blogger Donna. W said...

That's almost funny. I like some of the cheap box wines, but I can't imagine an eatery serving box wine.

5:59 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

That reminds me, along with wine (box or not) you should also keep her away from "energy" drinks. She's naturally gregarious and you get her wound up, you'll have to stick around until she winds down again.

Just think if you had channeled this talent for daily espewage into a syndicated comic strip, you could be Garry Trudeau by now. I have admiration for people who can do that sort of thing day after day for years. Me, I'm running out of ideas. Coming up on my 1 year with the blog and I may call it quits soon myself. I'll keep writing as long as the stuff pours from my brain, but once it quits, I'm done.

7:50 AM  
Anonymous jb said...

I don't know about the Wet Dog, as I don't go there in the evening. However, my most favorite of all, the Urban Cafe, also seems to think they need to provide entertainment on weekend evenings. I absolutely hate not being able to visit with dinner partners because the "entertainment" is bouncing off the walls. The accoustics in that small space just do not make music enjoyable. It seems to me that everyone is talking louder in order to be heard across the table. So you not only have the music, but the louder voices throughout the restaurant trying to visit with each other. I say pipe in soft dinner music, if you feel it is necessary--but don't pay for someone to entertain while most of the patrons are not interested in being entertained!

9:08 AM  
Blogger a mouthy irish woman? ridiculous! said...

wine in a box is like drinking beer out of a paper cup. gawdawful.

i like the sound of a joint called the "wet dog". of course it sounds a bit stinky too.

10:41 AM  
Anonymous Auntie said...

Irish Lassie,

We call it the Moist Pooch. LOL.

Stinky indeed...

7:13 PM  
Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

The Moist Pooch was just fine - the Margarita was tasty. Me, quiet? Of course I am - I'm SHY but no one ever believes me. And, I could have sworn that singer at the Moist Pooch was a bad lesbian folk singer gone awry.

Shari played the Beatles' Birthday for me today...it was way better than her.

That port was excellent. I'm coming back for more.

9:36 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Auntie, you were right, but I was figuring there would be a better chance of getting a table at the Dog and the view is better. We should have gone to the Urban.

Donna, I guess they feel that's all the tourists deserve. Maybe they'll be serving TV dinners as well.

Darev, If I had put away a dollar for every post I'd have enough to have a nice weekend somewhere.

JB the best you can hope for is a table in the back room by the fish tank.

Irish, I don't find it stinky. There is no smoking in any bars in Oregon and any smell that might be there is the smells coming from the brewing operation.

Lori. I never got a look at the singer. My Gaydar must have been turned off for the evening. I'm glad you enjoyed your "Tour of Discovery" (hey that's funny if you are into Lewis and Clark).

5:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home