Thursday, December 03, 2009

Tears of Beauty


Though many people think of me as an icy curmudgeon; I will admit here and now that I do have emotions though I don’t like people around then my emotions issue to the surface. I absolutely hate it when I get choked up in front of people.

I’ve mentioned that go around the state teaching classes or doing lectures from time to time. I get choked up every time I talk about a friend of mine that invented a machine. I go through the slides as I always do and I fight back the urge to get choked up about it. I linger on a slide and sip some water or coffee until I have my emotions under control. I know what it is. It’s the beauty of it all. It was a complex problem that no one was able to solve, and my friend came up with a practical mechanical device to solve a problem that the science community felt could only be fixed by using more chemicals.

There is another situation of beauty that gets me choked up. Actually it does more than chokes me up; it reduces me to tears every time. They aren’t tears of sorry or joy, but tears of beauty. I find the 1985 Australian film “Bliss” the most beautiful film I’ve ever seen. Yes, there is some nasty stuff in it and it is definitely not appropriate for children and people that are morally sensitive, but this has to be the best movie ever.

I’ve been watching this film several time a year since 1985 and I’m surprised to find that I am now getting choked up earlier and earlier in the film each time I watch it. I watched the film again today, and it was yet another cathartic experience. I feel much better after a good cry. Then I can get back it being the icy curmudgeon you all know and love.

11 Comments:

Blogger Auntie said...

And now you have shared it with someone else.

How sweet!

However, I still think you are a curmedgeon.

6:15 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Dang... every time I get to feeling like I am a very strange person I end up meeting someone who is weirder than I am and it bursts my bubble. You, my friend, are a very odd person. Must be why you and my sister get along so well.

6:40 AM  
Blogger Donna. W said...

I still cry when I watch "It's A Wonderful Life", the part where the town chips in money to save George. I know half the population HATES that movie, but I've had it get me out of a wintertime slump all too many times. It reminds me that no man is an island.

8:36 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

I cry every time I hear pipes.

Doesn't matter if they are playing Amazing Grace or something else.

Even when they march by in a parade, the tears start flowing fast and furious.

I think its something in my genetic makeup

9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you cry when you see women with green hair?

10:36 AM  
Anonymous Pamela said...

I cry EVER time I see a woman with green hair. Because green is the color that hair should be. In a perfect world.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

a curmedgeon? pfft. You're my hero.

11:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw a woman today with green hair. It made me weep...her hair was BEAUTIFUL!

3:30 PM  
Anonymous dalia said...

curmudgeon?

i

don't

THINK

so...

5:55 PM  
Blogger heather kathleen said...

i can't wait to see it. :)

6:58 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, sorry to burst your bubble.

Donna, I am when I'm not watching Bliss ; )

Auntie, must be, but I'd rather listen to screaming cats.

Anon, I don't cry for that at all. It makes me smile.

Pam, it isn't easy being green.

Amy, I'm digging you more and more, lovies!

Anon, her hair was beautiful as is she. She'd even look good if she shaved her head.

Dalia, that's because I'm always nice to you...except when we play Scrabble ; )

Heather, sorry, but you'll have to. Let me know if it makes you cry tears of beauty as well.

7:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home