Tuesday, November 24, 2009

People With Secrets


I just finished reading “In the President’s Secret Service” by Ronald Kessler. I almost feel like a Royal Watcher when I read a book like this, but I have always been fascinated by the people behind the politics.

I once dated a woman whose brother was a Secret Service agent. We drove to New York one morning to pick him up from the Waldorf where he was guarding some dignitaries. On the drive back to New Jersey I got to ask him all sorts of questions about his job. He had been on all sorts of details all around the world. He worked with just about every famous political person you’d ever heard of in places like the White House and palaces everywhere. All in all I came away with the impression that to him it was just a job. He had a very rank and file attitude about his work.

Back to the book, this book exposes impressions that agents have had regarding those who they were willing to take a bullet for. There are some surprises.
The agents seemed to love Reagan, George HW Bush, Barbara Bush, George W and Laura Bush, Tipper Gore, Bill Clinton and the Obamas. These people were always respectful to agents.

On the other hand Gerald Ford, Hillary Clinton, Richard Nixon, Lyndon Johnson, Nancy Reagan, Jimmy Carter, the twins Jenna and Barbara Bush, Amy Carter and Al Gore were total douche bags. They weren’t douchie once in a while; they were full-time 24/7/365 douche bags.

It’s an easy read, but I’d suggest waiting for the paperback, though I did get it really cheap used on Amazon.

7 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Sounds like a good read - I've noted the title.
I often wonder what kind of personal lives Secret Service agents have.

5:14 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

I have met one or two and found them to be completely humorless. Seemed to me like they took everything way too seriously. On the other side of the coin, if you were being guarded by these people, wouldn't you want them to at least like you? Being a snaphole to your bodyguards just seems counterproductive to me.

7:51 AM  
Blogger Trop said...

I'm friends with a guy who was part of not-a-Dr. Rev Jerry Falwell's security detail. He has stories to tell.

9:06 AM  
Blogger g said...

looks like a great read! thanks for posting.

8:36 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Beth and g, it's not great literature, but it is fun. I compare it to instead of watching the News Hour on PBS one day you watch Entertainment Tonight.

Darev, many agents are disgruntled because of very poor management from the top of their organization.

Trop, now there is a Kiss and Tell I'd like to read.

5:23 AM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

Beth? Beth? Am I on Books Etc?

Sounds really good. Please turn it in to Lucys Books so I can buy it in the used loft!

7:29 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I'll lend it to you when I get it back.

6:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home