Sunday, November 15, 2009

Glasses


I went shopping for new eye glasses earlier this week. I did check out the selection at my Ophthalmologists office but somehow I don’t see how rimless frames which consist of the piece that goes over the nose and the right and left side that goes over the ear can cost more than a new 3000 watt generator. Over $350, this is just the price of the frames without the lenses. I mean WTF? There are three pieces of metal with a couple of screws. I could understand the price if it were pure gold.

From there I went to my former optometrist office with my prescription and I found similar frames for less than one third the price. This was much more reasonable, however that still a lot of money for three pieces of thick wire. I could have gotten a big plastic pair of Betsy Johnson glasses for about $50, but Yee-Gads, that would be like walking around with a wind shield on my face and I’m sure I’d have to coat the lenses with Rain-X and walk around with a squeegee in my back pocket during rainy days.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

November 25th, 8:00 am.

4:15 AM  
Blogger Donna. W said...

Glasses have to be among the most overpriced items on the market.

4:51 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Since lenses are now produced by a computer cheaply and very quickly, they have to overprice something else and the only thing left is the frames. If they lowered the price of the frames to reflect their actual cost, they would have to charge you $300 just to walk into the place.

6:07 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

uh, don't shop at your opthamologists. Their prices are always the highest. HEY, You have insurance, did you actually have to pay any out of pocket?

6:10 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Anon, sorry, but I'm for supporting local professionals that were there for me 20 years ago rather than big box on this one.

Donna, contact lenses probably beat out glasses for being overpriced, but yes, it's a good thing we only need new glasses every couple of years.

Darev, there is a difference between profit and pass the KY.

Auntie, not yet and probably not, except I'm sure the rose color tint I ordered won't be covered.

6:45 AM  
Blogger a mouthy irish woman? ridiculous! said...

$350 smackers for my no line bifocals.

crap.

7:07 AM  
Anonymous Joni said...

I think it's BECAUSE we only have to buy new glasses every couple of years that they feel justified in charging so much. It's ridiculous!

I lost my glasses on a cruise a couple of years ago, and had to pay out of pocket to replace them. Close to $500!

BTW, my mom wears Betsy Johnson glasses :) She has a heckuva time finding frames that she likes!

10:19 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Though, when I see what some people display on their faces I think the fashionable eye wear may sometimes be worth it considering what and ugly ass pair of glasses will make you look like.

Heather, mine ended up costing nearly that much.

Joanie, Damn, you got hosed. And Betsy Johnson glasses are funny...

5:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's more or less the fashion statement that comes with glasses, and the cost to adjust the machine to your prescription and the frames.

Though it also probably has a lot to do with large profit margins when it comes down to it.

9:55 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Yes, Joe, these were just frame prices. The lenses added to the cost.

5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home