Friday, November 06, 2009

While the Sun Shines


I’ve written here before about the old adage of making hay while the sun shines. We have now entered the time of year where sunshine is a rare commodity in Oregon. We have moved from a situation where it was sunny every day into a situation where it is sunny a couple days a week and will soon plunge into sunny only when there is a full moon or the first crescent phase of moon. Keep track; no matter how dismal the weather can become here it usually clears up for the full moon and for the first crescent moon phase.

Weather predictions here aren’t bad at a two day glance. More than two days is always a crap shoot, but I faithfully check out the weather so I can plan when to do certain activities. For instance I love line drying my laundry. Sometimes I will get dangerously close to the edge of wearing those tie dye underwear in hopes of finding the perfect laundry day.

Maybe I should give up since the sun is at such a low angle in the sky. I often have to finish the clothing in the drier, but nature is still doing most of the work.

I have a little digging to do this weekend and I’m hoping that I’ll be able get it done between the showers. I don’t dig digging in the rain, but I really don’t dig having to take a flash light out to feed the chickens and gather the eggs in the morning and in the evening. I need to run an electric cable underground from the greenhouse to the coop.

The shorter rainy days are great for catching up on rest and to prevent me from over-doing it as I do all summer, but I will pack on ten pounds over the winter. I always do. Though naps are planned I still want to spend the winter pulling scotch broom and building some new equipment in the shop. Wish me luck between the drops.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You just gave me a flashback to the scene in the Mel Brooks's movie "Young Frakenstein" when the doc (Gene Wilder) and Igor (Marty Feldman) are collecting body parts. Doc laments at length about what a miserable job it is and Igor replies ...could be worse. Doc says how could this be worse? Igor replies...I dunno...(looks upward in two different directions simultaneously)...could be raining. At which point the downpour begins. Classic B & W movie - for when you have forgotten how to belly laugh.

Moose

4:59 AM  
Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

LOL.....is your underwear ruling your life?
I would really miss the sunshine if I lived in your area. It's like an instant high/feelgood for me no matter what is going on in my life.

6:27 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

We have a nice weekend here and I'm going to try to get a few of my outdoor projects finished for the season. Gonna try to get me in a mess of wood to build a few indoor things, too. If I can afford some wood, that is. Want some cedar.

7:16 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

i'm jealous jealous jealous.

stupid sunshine.

11:15 AM  
Anonymous cb said...

I'm jealous that you DO stuff on your property. We have more tools rusting in the sticker bushes than anyone I know.
Woe is me. I will be thinking of you dodging the drops and enjoying fresh brown eggs gathered under the glare of a light bulb rather than the dim glow of a flashlight! I think I see a patch of blue right now, scamper!

2:11 PM  
Blogger a mouthy irish woman? ridiculous! said...

luck between the drops. i like that.

only 10 pounds?

5:45 PM  
Blogger g said...

I need to plant an apple tree and watch the Beavers whoop some Cal butt.

7:37 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Moose, Brooks always did know how to play on irony.

Tango, it just makes sunny days more special. Plus it normally doesn't rain here from July through September.

Darev, no cedar mill by you? There would be a savings for you. I go to a local m ill and buy figured maple direct. Can't beat the prices.

OK Amy, you are invited to move up here...

CB, I've broken more eggs from fumbling with a flashlight.

Heather, Rain is also conducive to napping.

g, Beavers and butt hosts a different image for me.

5:22 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

There's a few mills around but they are about 50 miles away. This area isn't real good for trees. The local cedar tends to be wormy and knotty and soft. Pfui.

8:12 AM  
Blogger g said...

Yes. We all see different clouds in the formations.

2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home