Tuesday, November 03, 2009

BBCLRSAE


Everyone has something they excel in. I’m good with a lot of stuff, but there are only a few things I excel in. One of them would be Scrabble. Though I haven’t played anyone in years, I still have the game entwined in my total being.

My wife has a scrabble application on her cell phone and while we were out for a long drive she opened up the game. As I drove she played and she would occasionally ask what can I do with these letters…? My mind is able to retain and rearrange the letters. I can form them into words in my head and then I can decide which words would collect the highest score. I asked her if there were certain lead in letters on the board that I can connect to. I asked her what open letters could lead to double word or triple word scores. It wasn’t just about using up letters. It was about strategy and higher scores.

She was amazed that I was able to do this while driving without looking at the letters or the board. She wanted to know how I developed this skill. I told her it was all due to time spent. While my friends were spending all their time getting their graduate degrees I was playing scrabble. Now few of them are working in their fields of study and I rarely ever play the game. Kind of sad, isn’t it?

9 Comments:

Blogger Auntie said...

Okay, game on. Pick a time and date and lets invite a couple other people

5:19 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Hmm.... eidetic memory? Can you remember the layout of all the tiles on the board? I'd be interested to see if you could play a game of chess in your head. That bean of yours constantly amazes me.

6:47 AM  
Blogger RobbKidd said...

I'll have to come out an beat you...

Last year we bought Super Scrabble, the board is twice the size and twice the letters very good for multiple players. We play occasional, but I always win.

8:09 AM  
Blogger Zoe said...

I grew up playing Scrabble with my grandma, who lived just down the block. I have a bit of a sentimental attachment the game. Despite not having a huge vocabulary, I'm a decent Scrabble player. The one thing I've found though, is it's ruined me for games like Bananagrams, because I spend too much time trying to optimize letters like "X", "Z", "Q", and "J".

9:53 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

I freaking love Scrabble! Nobody will play with me, though.

10:21 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Someone brought a word/letter game to the cottage this past weekend – thought I was doing very well until I noticed the game was recommended “For ages 8 & up.”
I think you’d kick my butt in Scrabble. ;)

11:06 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Auntie, "Ratbastard" is a legal word.

Darev, If I see the board I can remember most of it, but if it is described to me I remember it better.

Robb, I'd hate to see you fly all the way out here and have your ass handed to you.

Zoe, Welcome back! You just can't obsess over the letters. Either opportunities present themselves or they don't.

Amy, you can play on line. Pogo.com is one place.

Beth, as well read as you are I bet you are a stickler for good spelling and calling one's bluff on made up words. That is your strength. Play on!

9:50 PM  
Anonymous dalia said...

we can play on f-book! i'm kinda good at it, but i'm always amazed by the skills of some of my opponents!

10:21 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Dalia, I'm trying to set that up on FB, but it asks for a player, I put in your name and it doesn't recognize you.

5:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home