Sunday, October 25, 2009

I Saw The Light



I’m a lighting fixture kook. I think a cool fixture can make a room. I even make some of my own lamps and fixtures. One of my favorites is a lamp I made from a large stack of AOL CDs.

I know that for energy savings I should buy fixtures that use only energy efficient light bulbs, but sometimes they don’t provide the light I want so many of my fixtures require strange, non-standard bulbs that you can’t find at the hardware store.

My wife uses a light box for Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) and it is suggested the fluorescent lamps be changed every two years. We found replacements on the Internet for $15 each but when you figure in the shipping the whole deal would have cost over $50.

We went to Portland last Thursday and before we went I looked up lighting shops and I found the mother of all light bulb stores. This place is called Sunlan Lighting and is located at 3901 N. Mississippi in North Portland and is run by a woman known as the Light Bulb Lady and her very knowledgeable staff.

This shop is about the size of Godfather’s Books, but it seemingly has every light bulb known to man contained under its roof. They demonstrate and give you the scientific scoop on each item you are looking for. All colors, sizes and connection types are present.

This shop is worth a visit even if you aren’t in the market for weird bulbs. It’s worth a visit just to see the amazing variety and learn about the functions and benefits between each model.

6 Comments:

Blogger Auntie said...

I think I am strangely attracted to this photo of Uncle Fester. Dunno why, but it's scaring the bejeebers outta me.

6:17 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

I'll bet Uncle Fester would go for Auntie. He'd light up her life.

There you go making me miss Oregon again. No decent bookstores for miles in any direction... no coffee shops... no microbreweries... no street performers... no weird specialty stores... Snap! Now I'm gonna be in a funk all day.

7:03 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

Rev, I thought you said "there you go making me MISS OREGON..."

I was picturing you in the sash. Too cute!

2:17 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Auntie, You ought to have your bejeebers looked at if they can scare out of you so easily.

Darev, Dang, you make your state sound like a waste land... But then again I've driven through it... Maybe you're right.

5:35 AM  
Blogger Bpaul said...

Sunlan is a godsend. There used to be a small esoteric-lighting store on Belmont but it closed and I thought I was hosed after that. I have a number of friends who love to refurbish old fixtures with hard-to-find lamp needs, Sunlan has saved my butt on a number of occasions.

8:17 AM  
Blogger Guy said...

I hope more support this business.

8:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home