Thursday, October 15, 2009

That's Entertainment


Maybe it’s my shortened attention span but it seems I no longer have the desire to see a full-length motion picture. Movies to me are a lot like baseball games where most of the time there is nothing going on and occasionally there is some excitement.

I once wrote a movie review where I wrote that I only wished I had worn a watch so I could spend my time watching time tick away rather than viewing the film. After that we went to another film that was stinker and my wife handed me her watch. We walked out five minutes later.

The thing I don’t understand is how I can be totally entertained by a thirty second commercial or a short film on YouTube where an entire story can be told clearly and succinctly in a short time, yet feature film makers have 90 minutes or more to tell a story and they often can’t or they blur it with filler and nonsense.

Here is an example of a 30 second masterpiece. A 30 Second Spot

The film industry has been at it for so long; you’d think they would understand the audience by now. I’ve heard that most films are targeted to 16 year old white boys and most of the rest are considered “Chick Flicks”, but why can’t they make films that are as great as some of the commercials I’ve seen. Come on Hollywood, wake up. I’d love to see something worthwhile on the big screen again.

9 Comments:

Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

Ha, my attention span is a whole 60 minutes long. It really helps that I can pause it and go to the bathroom, get something to drink, pet my pussy, check my e-mails for work, etc. It's just about impossible for me to sit through a movie at the theater.

6:09 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

I had something to say and Tango just threw me right off of it. Ka-pow!

On the other hand, I would have gone in after the barrel of whiskey, too.

The wife has back problems and can't sit in one place very long so we never go to the movies anymore. We just wait til they come out on dvd and watch at home where we can pause for potty breaks and the like.

6:27 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Great - succinct - commercial!
As for movies, not only is my attention span decreasing, I can no longer watch scary or violent movies. What’s with that? I should be getting tougher as I get older, not wimpier...

7:31 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

I had this conversation earlier today. You aren't the only one who can't sit through an entire movie. I can't remember the last time I did.

8:41 AM  
Anonymous Louis Moonsnail said...

The traditional American film industry output seemsm pretty formula-ized to get the maximum number of theater seats occupied. The movies that appeal to the sixteen year old male audience must have bare breasts, lots of cussing (F bombs), car chase scenes, lots of small arms firepower to ensure the maximum number of victims get torn to bloody shreds by bullets. Of course, the tried and true scene where the hero and his big boobed damsel in distress must make an unbelievable jump in a hail of gunfire from a building which is blown sky high a nano second after they safely exit. Personally, I'm much preferring American indy, and overseas(foriegn) films these days-they rely more on clever writing, story/plot, and better acting than the recent traditional Hollywood fare

9:11 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Last week, some guy was going door to door promoting some theater here in town with promos. I told him I didn't go to the movies, and he stood there with his mouth open. Pfft. I knew I wasn't the only one!

9:58 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Tango, always a pleasure when you mention your cat ; )

Darev, plus in theaters you have to listen to all the noise that other people make.

Beth, There are some pretty disturbed people writing that stuff.

Syd, you have the best short attention span of anyone I know. That's what makes your writing so interesting.

Louis, I half agree only because most idnys are depressing as hell because they come from directors that are depressed about being poor and not being able to fund their projects properly.

Amy, I'm surprised you opened the door in the first place. You must have been expecting a pizza delivery ; )

5:32 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

ROFL - look, if they deliver a pizza here by accident, I'm gonna take it!

9:21 AM  
Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

Your attention span was destroyed by your miniscule exposure to Facebook.

6:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home