Friday, October 09, 2009

Bonomo's Turkish Taffy


I don't know if it was ever distributed nationally, but those of you that are my age may remember Bonomo's Turkish Taffy. This was a candy that came in a flat package like a Hershey Bar. It was a hard taffy that came in vanilla, chocolate, strawberry or banana flavors.

When you wanted to eat it you had to smack it in a hard surface once or twice to break it into little chunks. Smacking it too much turned it into crumbs or taffy dust.

I've mentioned this candy to a few people that grew up out here and they have no idea what I'm talking about. They think I'm talking about salt water taffy, but it's nothing like that.

When you try to find it on the Internet your search is always taken to French Chew, which is a totally different candy; it's not even a taffy, but if you freeze it it will crack and taste like Turkish Taffy. Not close enough for me.

The company was bought out by the Tootsie Roll company and discontinued in 1989, but they are coming back. They are currently producing the candy with Warrell Corporation of PA and expect to have the original Turkish Taffy in its smack-it crack-it formula widely available sometime in 2010.

Bonomo's is one of those things you would assume would always be around so it is difficult if not impossible to find any photos of a wrapper or its content, But here is a video of a couple Bonomo's Turkish Taffy commercials and there's one with a very creepy clown. Bonomo's Turkish Taffy Video

6 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

I’m not familiar with that particular taffy but loved a certain kind (can’t remember the name!) when I was a kid. And we had to hit it on a hard surface too in order to break off a piece. I busted a molar chewing that taffy. I no longer trust my teeth to handle the stuff…
Be careful in 2010!

6:07 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Hey, I remember that stuff! It was pretty good. And I remember those commercials, too. Both of those people in the commercial were creepy. Come to think of it, alot of the commercials back then were creepy. Maybe that's part of the reason I turned out so twisted.

8:35 AM  
Anonymous jb said...

The kind I remember had peanuts in it. I think it was called Big Hunk. I don't think there were any other flavors than vanilla. It was one of my favorites. I don't remember any commercials for it, but I am probably older than the rest of you!

9:02 AM  
Anonymous Louis Moonsnail said...

Yeah, I remember punishing my teeth on that crap-but it was worth it, I guess, back then-got the most candy milage out of it for your nickle, like Big Hunk and Look. Another one that lasted quite awhile was Bit-O-Honey, kind of a taffy, too. I liked the Big Hunk the best, I think, it was big, tastey and had some peanuts in it

12:18 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Beth, I have no idea what you all had in Canada, but that was the selling point of Bonomo's, you got to smack something.

Darev, let's not leave your sister out of it. It may be a family thing ; )

JB you may be older, but you don't look it.

Bit-O-Honey is still out there but hard to find. It's interesting how often peanuts or peanut butted is used in making candy.

5:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bonomo Turkish Taffy is back in all its original flavors and fomula. Its back in most retro stors and online. The owners took 15 years to get it back to market to satisfy baby boomers craving for a most unique candy. What other candy calls for you to smack in on a hard surface?
The new company can be reached at Bonomoturkishtaffy@gmail.com

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home