Tuesday, October 06, 2009

It Aint Over Yet


Maybe summer isn’t over just yet. I was able to score two artichokes at the grocery store. They had been missing from spot next to the corn for weeks and suddenly they reappeared. The corn is gone but the artichokes are back.

Another remnant from summer is that my beefsteak tomatoes are finally ripening in the green house. This called for the purchase of another package of bacon. This will be the last bacon I buy for the year, folks.

The corn is finally ready in the garden. We started the garden really late this year, but the stout ears are on and in their prime. It’s fun to feed an ear of corn to a horse. Horses also enjoy eating husks, so there is no need to litter a compost bin with bulky corn husks when horses can turn them into fertilizer and compost over night.

I made four loaves of zucchini bread yesterday and I’m going to make four more today. We are drying tomatoes and picking pears and I’m still able to dry the laundry on the line. It still feels somewhat like summer though I am wearing flannel shirts in the mornings and evening.

We have had some fall rains, which I greatly appreciate. It is bringing new life to the pastures and washes away the dust. Fire season will so be over and the smell of wood smoke will be in the air again. We will be given glimpses of the past summer until the deciduous trees lose all their leaves. Fall isn’t very colorful here since this is the time of year when the green returns. Aside from the few maples there isn’t much colorful foliage to see with all the evergreens in the forests.

I will enjoy the fall as I always do, but I will keep a cautious eye on December when the winds will return.

9 Comments:

Blogger Auntie said...

don't forget your friends who love zucchini bread, Guy.

5:01 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Hooo! It's turned off cold here already. Temps dropped over a week from the 80's to the low 60's. Had to put the liner back in my coat. The leaves are beginning to turn and this morning we got rain and a thunderstorm that woke me up about 6 am. My job is starting to get easier because it's cool outside and the inmates don't want to go out. I do so love this time of year.

6:22 AM  
Anonymous Joni said...

I always miss the corn when it's gone, so late summer I always get a dozen ears to freeze. And *sigh*, my SO doesn't like (or appreciate I should say) a good artichoke, so it's been years since I had one!

Our tomatoes are just about petered out - we didn't get as many as I thought we would, but I think someone forgot to water from time to time! We're going to prepare a spot in the house so we can grow them indoors & year-round. LOVE tomatoes!

10:57 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Auntie, yeah, yeah, yeah...

Darev, soon you won't want to go out either.

Joni, the latest I've been able to keep tomatoes going in the greenhouse is January 21st. I usually lose them by mid December, but one year the conditions were just right.

5:32 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

It will be cold, but all that damned corn will be gone and it will be safe to be outside again.

6:52 AM  
Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

LOL....every time I pass by a cornfield, I think about you, Darev

1:54 PM  
Blogger dalia said...

i agree with auntie! :-)

7:21 PM  
Blogger Guy said...

Dalia, see my comment at Spider and I.

8:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

boo!

:(

9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home