Sunday, October 11, 2009

Spider and I


I’ve often mentioned the flora and fauna that lives on or in my truck, be it composting hay sprouting new grass seedlings, the termites from wood chips and let’s not forget the ferns and moss.

I’ve been aware for quite some time that there is a spider living in my drivers’ side door mirror. At first I thought the webbing was an over-lay from a larger web that I backed through, but after a couple days of clearing the web I noticed its prompt return. When I washed the truck a couple weeks ago I was careful not to flush the creature from its home. I never saw the spider, but I knew it was there.

Last weekend I had to drive a horse over to Brownsmead and I got stuck in a traffic jam due to a flipped chip truck. There is no way around these wrecks on the curves in the John Day area. If you have to travel Route 30, you wait. During my wait I became well acquainted with my new pet. There were some gnats that triggered its alarm. I saw it dash in and out several times.

I wonder, what shall I name it?

13 Comments:

Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

Dasher?

5:01 AM  
Blogger a mouthy irish woman? ridiculous! said...

what kind is it?

6:22 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Webster?

Of course, since it's ensconced in a mirror, I suspect Narcissus would be apropos.

The spiders here are going crazy this year. Slinging webs everywhere and floating on the breeze. I usually walk through four or five of them every day walking through the parking lot. ACK!!!!!

7:57 AM  
Blogger richpix said...

Alice.

10:09 AM  
Blogger g said...

John Day Brownsmead

10:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gomer Van Winkle, Mayor of Brownsmead.

1:28 PM  
Blogger Donna. W said...

Ozzie

6:26 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Irish, some sort of orb weaver.

6:56 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Gomer Van Winkle wins! Too funny. You've been paying attention, Anon. For the rest of you this is a very "inside" answer, but it was too funny to pass up.

6:05 AM  
Blogger dalia said...

i have a can of hairspray that will deal with your new pet nicely.

7:18 PM  
Blogger Guy said...

Dalia Joanne, that's mean. No zucchini bread for you!

8:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

see, now... you're not taking into account that i'm actually an arachnophobe... it's a natural reaction! eight-legged-creature... must... die!

9:21 PM  
Anonymous Charlotte Webb said...

I wonder if a spider, upon encountering an insect encrusted windshield on a vehicle ponders, ..'tsk tsk...what a waste of perfectly good and delicious bugs'

10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home