Monday, October 19, 2009

Towns With Funny Names


I was corresponding via E-mail with one of the readers here last week and I conceded defeat in one of the fun debates we were having. Their reply was, “No Way, No How!” I had to laugh and my reply to them was, “No Way, No How? That sound town names in New Jersey.”

Sure, all states have towns with funny names; Oregon included, but I have yet to see a state with such a fine collection as New Jersey.

For those of you that aren’t familiar with the names of towns in the Garden State I have a special treat for you thanks to the wonders of YouTube. The late Dave Van Ronk sang a song called The Garden State Stomp.

6 Comments:

Blogger Donna. W said...

Missouri has Peculiar, Frankenstein, Tightwad, Monkey Run, Conception... and the list goes on. Oh yeah, and who can forget Buttsville?

4:10 AM  
Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

Blue Ball, Intercourse, Climax, Bird-in-Hand, Beaver, Moon, Virginville, Paradise, Mars, Middlesex and Slippery Rock are PA towns

5:08 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

The dude sounded like Shel Silverstein a bit. There's a little town a few miles down the road from here called "Knob Lick." If I lived there, I think I would have to get a P.O. box in the next town over.

6:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Huh. I always thought Washington (Humptulips, Cle Elum, Enumclaw, Mukilteo, Puyallup, Walla Walla, George) would have won. Guess I'm wrong.

11:24 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Donna, it looks like you can adapt Dave's song for Missouri. Those are great names.

Tango, something tells me that Penn was intentionally trying to be outrageous.

Darev, that reminds me that in High School we had a guidance counselor named Fred Knobbs and he actually named his daughter Ophelia. Sick bastard.

Anon, Damn, those are good, too. Humptulip the final resting place of Willie Geddermoist. So sad, so sad.

5:28 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Here's some more Jersey beauties you might enjoy:

http://reallyweirdplacenames.blogspot.com/2013/06/new-jersey-l.html

1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home