Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Dog Hater? Not Me!


Last week in an email conversation with one of the readers here, I was called a Rat Bastard Dog Hater. This came out of the blue. There was some deep seeded resentment there that has obviously been building for some time. I mean I can’t recall the last time I wrote about dogs. I didn’t even know this person had a dog.

To set the record straight, I love dogs when they are in their appropriate place in a controlled environment. I don’t consider on a leash at Sunday Market to be a controlled environment. I don’t consider running around my property chasing and killing my chickens a controlled environment. I don’t consider off leash on the beach trying to bite my horses as a controlled environment. I don’t consider bringing your dog off leash for a trail ride a controlled environment.

It’s not the dogs I have a problem with; it is their keepers that think it’s perfectly OK for a dog to behave like a wild animal. It is no consolation to hear their keeper say, “Oh don’t worry, he doesn’t bite” because I have been bitten by several dogs that don’t bite. You need to control your animals or I may control them in a way not to your liking.

I like to impress dog owners when I’m on horseback. My horses don’t fear dogs so when a dog comes along I turn my horse toward then and run at the dog. It usually frightens their owner knowing full well I that my horse is about to stomp Rover into sea gull food.

I also keep a 14 foot weighted lead rope with me when I ride and I've used it on dogs in the past. I call it dog polo.

I’ve had dogs in the past. Some were remarkable to the point where I feel no other dog could possibly be as good, but the best part of a dog or a horse or a person becomes apparent in their training. Any animal left to their own devices uses their reactionary brain, but the trained animal learns to use their thinking brain. Unfortunately many dog owners haven’t fully developed their thinking brains and society has to pay for their behavior and the behavior of their pets. If the owners haven’t developed their thinking brain, how can one expect their pets to have a developed thinking brain?

So there, it’s out there in public. I don’t hate dogs, just most dog owners. However I'll proudly admit I’m still a rat bastard if that makes you feel better about it.

14 Comments:

Blogger Donna. W said...

Thanks for clearing that up. My dog would drive you crazy, and yes, you'd probably hate me if you met her.

4:22 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Ever the rat bastard but never the curmudgeon – at least about dogs.
Your take on dogs and dog owners makes perfect sense to me. I never trust the, “My dog doesn’t bite,” line. I always think, “Hasn’t yet…”
And I hate it when dog owners bring their dogs into stores.

5:28 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

A woman sees a dog standing in a park. She asks the man next to it "does your dog bite?" The man says "no, he doesn't."

She reaches down to pet the dog and the dog BITES her on the hand.

She says "I thought you said that your dog doesn't bite!". The man says..."that is not my dog."

6:07 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Rooollls his eyes at Auntie and wonders if she is channeling the late Soupy Sales.
Your take on dogs is the same as my take on children. I'd put up with an unruly dog alot better than I would tolerate an unruly child. If I had my way, I'd carry that weighted rope or a big stick and use it on the parents. If I ruled the world, there would be a buttload of people walking around with big lumps on their head.
And you wouldn't like my dogs, either. Apparently Lab and Dalmation are not a good combination. Dumb as rocks.

6:58 AM  
Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

I can't stand unruly kids nor dogs...it's one of my "pet" peeves!! I've met dogs that are like well behaved children and children that behave like bad behaving dogs.

7:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Naw... not Soupy Sales. Auntie is channeling Inspector Clousseau. Sheeesh...

To me, dogs are adopted sons/daughters who are short, hairy, sometimes smell funky, walk on all fours and don't speak clearly. Kinda reminds me of a woman I once knew...

Moose

8:19 AM  
Blogger mark said...

Right on the money, as per usual. Us cyclists agree with you equestrians on the subject of loose hounds.

8:42 AM  
Blogger a mouthy irish woman? ridiculous! said...

i don't think that was EXACTLY what i said :)

4:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty much my opinion of dogs too and I have had dogs my entire life. You would like my current dogs, they are extremely well behaved and ignore all my poultry. They also think horses should absolutely have the right of way.

My horse LOATHED dogs. The resident dogs never ever went in the pasture when he was out. Unfortunately the neighbors highly bred extremely expensive german shepard wasn't as smart. The neighbor came looking for the dog one day and I honestly said I hadn't seen it. A few hours later I went for a ride and as I got to the lower section of the big pasture I smelled something dead. The pancake of gore and dog hair was no more than an inch thick. My horse was snorting ad stomping eager to continue the process of composting the remains. Never did tell the neighbor what became of his dog.

columbia critter

7:28 PM  
Blogger Guy said...

Donna, are your horses well behaved?

Beth, I can't stand the ones that hide their dogs inside their clothing.

Auntie, Moose is right.

Darev, did you notice Soupy died two days after my Uncle Floyd post? That 4 I got right on my Death Pool and there is two months left.

Tango, that's why you have cats.

Anon, Thanks.

Moose, it needs a French accent which I'm sure you can provide.

Mark, When I used to go bike touring in the Adairondacks I used to carry and use pepper spray and I've broken many a tire pump smacking them.

Heather, the exact quote was, "hell yes kick him. that is what you would say because your a rat bastard dog hater." Ms. Woman...

CC, we had one mare that would go out of her way to chase dogs.

8:33 PM  
Blogger Donna. W said...

My horse came to me well-behaved. My dog came to me a hyperactive tornado of a creature.

3:09 AM  
Blogger a mouthy irish woman? ridiculous! said...

hahahahahahahaha! i stand corrected! and humbled! just a little though...not a lot. its a southern woman thing you understand!
:)

8:29 AM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

Okay, so what is your feeling about leashed children at the Sunday Market?

2:01 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Mo3, They are OK as long as their choke collar isn't too severe.

5:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home