Heather wrote last week about a leaf burning incident that went very badly, which reminded me of a fire I started last year.
I was always curious how loggers could start a slash fire that could burn so hot even when all the debris was wet and green. The secret is to use an old tire at the base and pour on a mixture of gasoline and used motor oil.
I’m not big on burning tires so last year I poured a one gallon mixture on a wet brush pile and I ignited it with a propane flame thrower. The pile burned until the fuel ran out, so I waited a couple of weeks until the pile dried a little more.
The next time I poured two gallons of the gas oil mixture all around the pile and when I ignited it there was a big WOOOOOSH sound that nearly knocked me off my feet. Neighbors came out to see if I was OK. They said their windows rattled and they were a little frightened when they looked out and saw the mushroom cloud rising in the atmosphere.
I think if I ever use two gallons again I’ll ignite it with a road flair from a further distance.