Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Burning Season


Heather wrote last week about a leaf burning incident that went very badly, which reminded me of a fire I started last year.

I was always curious how loggers could start a slash fire that could burn so hot even when all the debris was wet and green. The secret is to use an old tire at the base and pour on a mixture of gasoline and used motor oil.

I’m not big on burning tires so last year I poured a one gallon mixture on a wet brush pile and I ignited it with a propane flame thrower. The pile burned until the fuel ran out, so I waited a couple of weeks until the pile dried a little more.

The next time I poured two gallons of the gas oil mixture all around the pile and when I ignited it there was a big WOOOOOSH sound that nearly knocked me off my feet. Neighbors came out to see if I was OK. They said their windows rattled and they were a little frightened when they looked out and saw the mushroom cloud rising in the atmosphere.

I think if I ever use two gallons again I’ll ignite it with a road flair from a further distance.

17 Comments:

Blogger Auntie said...

sorry, I was just STUNNED to see that you have a new profile picture. Wow!

6:07 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

My old one disappeared and was replaced by a cell phone icon. This is my 3rd since I started blogging.

6:40 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

I thought the first one you had was very interesting.

6:41 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

I feel bad. I didn't even notice the new icon. I'm oblivious. People always think you need a fast hot fire to burn something wet. That rarely works. You need a slow fire that will dry out the stuff around it as it goes. I use paraffin fire starter blocks and feed it slowly until it becomes self-sustaining. That way I get to keep all of my eyebrows. Learned that one the hard way.

7:27 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

My BIL was trying to burn something in our pit and poured gasoline all over it. Gahhh...idiot. The houses in this neighborhood are close together. Can you imagine?!

8:45 AM  
Blogger Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

It's a god given right if you live in Orygun to burn something once a year. I have a friend in the Applegate who works for FritoLay and boy, do expired bags of Fritos make for a fun New Years Eve bonfire...

I had to go looky at the avatar...what's the big deal? It's not a hen in a Kitty Wig!

8:53 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

My first avitar was of a red knife holder that looked like a person. It was red. It just didn't look "Rust-ic" enough for me.

Darev, for small jobs I'd use charcoal lighter fluid.

Amy, a little gasoline goes a long way most times. Mixing it with used motor oil makes it last a but longer. You need a home in the country.

Teri, many people never even slow down their burning here even during fire season. And yes, your avitar is disturbing, but I wasn't going to bring it up until you mentioned it.

10:27 AM  
Blogger heather kathleen said...

just don't "sprinkle" straight up gas on your leave pile.

"shitfire!" is an understatement.

10:32 AM  
Blogger richpix said...

We'll have to refer to you now as, The Guy Who Burns This.

4:12 PM  
Blogger g said...

dude, people go to jail for less.

i'm also a big fan of burning tires and motor oil. mostly because it disturbs the deq and environmentalists.

7:35 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Heather, lighting shit on fire is a whole other post.

Rich, I've realized that I should be the Guy "That" Writes This, for the sake of proper grammar, but it's too late to change it now.

g, obviously not in Brownsmead.

5:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good thing you ain't "the woman whore rode this"...

Moose

1:11 PM  
Blogger richpix said...

Hmm, I think who is grammatically correct here. That would refer to a thing rather than a person.

3:07 PM  
Blogger g said...

i'm still pondering the woman whore thing.

7:17 PM  
Blogger richpix said...

De Ho What Rode Dis?

8:24 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I emailed Dalia who is an editor to ask which is correct.

8:28 PM  
Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

A boy and his matches. I love America.

8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home