Monday, November 16, 2009

On the Wing


I was out working in the yard the other day. The chickens were out free-ranging. Chickens may not always behave in a rational way; however they do have an innate instinct about some things. I say irrational because I have never chased them or harmed them. Sometimes when they see me they run to me yet other times they run from me.

As I work outside I often see the chickens all run from one area where they were scratching to another area to scratch or take a dirt bath. One of them may walk away, but then the others see the walker striking out in a new direction the others have to run to catch up. Some run and some even fly.

While I was out working the other day all the chickens were out in one of the pastures. They were pretty much all together, and suddenly they exploded into a running flying mass. They weren’t following a leader; they were all leaders. They didn’t fly to another scratching area; they all hauled ass into the coop. In a moment I realized why when I heard the trickling cooing sounds that raptors make. A moment later two bald eagles flew high over head.

The chickens seemed to instinctively know when the eagles were gone. They came out of the coop nearly as vigorously as they entered and they went about their day as though nothing ever happened.

6 Comments:

Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

Your chickens seem to have more sense than many of us.

4:23 AM  
Blogger Donna. W said...

Back when a pair of the neighbor's chickens took up residence here because they weren't being fed and sheltered at home, a hawk attacked the rooster, the hen ran for the barn, and she didn't come out for two days.

5:11 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

i guess their one brain cell has a function after all.

6:17 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

They only pretend to be stupid so we won't suspect they are planning a revolt. An astute observer will see their overt density to be merely a facade.

8:01 AM  
Blogger Patrick McGee said...

The Human weakness...the loss of the instinct to flee to its safe zone before reasoning its threat.

9:53 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Tango, maybe because when I see an eagle overhead I just stand there and stare.

Donna, you had a safe haven for them, warm, cozy and lots to scratch through.

Auntie, I'm sure they have at least four.

Darev, I we put some in a corn field I'll bet you run for your life.

Patrick, the reason people have guns I suppose.

7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home