Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Pop


As I write this it is Sunday morning, and I’m having an email conversation with one of the regular readers. It’s raining outdoors, so I’m just sitting here with the TV on while I’m writing. I turned the channel to something mindless, a VH1 countdown show. You see, MTV no longer plays music, how is that for irony? VH1 still plays music sometimes, and I can really see why the two premier music stations are getting away from music. It’s because the music really sucks.

If you haven’t listened to anything new lately you will be surprised to see that most of the music out there is an amalgamation of pussy rock and pussy country and pussy rap. The vocal tracks are digitally altered and sound like what we thought robot voices would sound like. Out of the twenty or so videos I say only one was visually stunning, but it made no sense in relationship to the song or to anything based in reality.

I was at my dentist office last week and I found myself getting aggravated by the mindless radio station that played extremely compresses pop crap. I’m becoming less tolerant of things that get poured into my head.

Pop music is a total wasteland. I hope something new comes along soon.

9 Comments:

Blogger a mouthy irish woman? ridiculous! said...

agreed. now jazz...:)

4:16 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

We should start our own teevee channel. GMTV Good music television. And actually play just music. It would be a sensation.

6:36 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

I’m somewhat out of sync/out of touch with the new music because I rarely listen to the radio. I rely on my kids to recommend new music they like and know I’ll like, add it to my iTunes folder, iPod and make my own CDs. Problem solved!

Is the new music really so bad or are we just getting too old?? Bit of both?

8:39 AM  
Blogger RobbKidd said...

What is worse than the music, is the satellite radio stations that regurgitate the same puke over and over. Even the stations with the music I like suck.

I'm working part time at a gym that has satellite radio and even though I like the song Tom Sawyer from Rush, it is repeated over and over and the 70's station, classic rewind, Deep Tracks, and the Boneyard(supposed to be Hard Rock.)

The corporate commercialization of music is atrocious, but hey "Aint that America." I'm at a point that I prefer silence over music.

8:47 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

I have music stations on my TV package. Opera. Frickin' rocks... I wait til the hub and kids go somewhere and then get in touch with my inner diva.

11:14 AM  
Anonymous Pam said...

i have a friend that makes me awesome CDs. I would be lost without him.

11:45 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Heather, most of the people you listen to were dead long before MTV.

Darev,even static would be better at this point.

Beth, maybe it is age. I get things slowly after all I'm listening to Emenem and Manson years after they they hit the scene, but I hope I never develop an ear for what is out there now.

Robb, I don't know which concept is worse, satellite radio or you working in a gym...

Amy, I am partial to a good requiem. I guess I am kind of dark. But now that I know this about I'll have to share some Philip Glass with you to see how you feel about minimalist opera.

Pam, new stuff can inspire.

5:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I turn to Zune and their 'Smart DJ' for new music these days. Plug in an artist you love, and a plethora of good stuff will come your way. It's excellent.

Another place I go to for my music news/what-not, is Paste Magazine. Good stuff abounds there, and I they're in the makings of a pilot episode for a television show on, HLN, I believe.

10:08 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Joe, Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a whirl.

5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home