Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Eggs!


I figured it’s time for a chicken update for all of you following along at home.

We got our first egg from the new hens on December 29th. It was a small eggs, but a great first offering none the less. The next day there were none, but there have been four eggs every day since. I suspect they are coming from the Buff Orpingtons because those are the only hens I’ve seen sitting in the nest boxes. The hens are still developing and the eggs are small in comparison to the eggs they will be laying soon.

If you recall I got my present flock as new chicks back in August after all my other chickens were killed by a weasel. They were all hatched on August 4. So they started laying just short of five months of age. Eventually many hens will start laying large double yolkers until their internal egg laying machinery gets it all figured out, but for the next few weeks they will be thinking small.

I’m going to cut this short. It’s time for breakfast.

7 Comments:

Blogger Donna. W said...

Pullet eggs are always small. Congratulations on your eggs! If I had chickens laying, I'd have to hit the henhouse ever hour or so to keep the eggs from freezing.

5:24 AM  
Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

Congratulations on the first batches. :) I didn't even think about the freezing weather.

5:31 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Maybe you should have tried emus. Baseball sized eggs and the weasels would have gotten kicked to death.

7:35 AM  
Blogger heather kathleen said...

yummy! fried or scrambled?

11:54 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Donna, it's in the 50s here. The eggs have gone from small to medium size in about a week. They should be laying large eggs in another week or so.

Tango, We've had about two weeks of cold in December. That may be it for the year.

Darev and I could get kicked to death as well.

Selkie, I like em fried.

5:18 AM  
Blogger Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

If I didn't name my cats after places in Cornwall, I think I'd have to name a red (orange) tabby, Buff Orpington! Splendid hen!

2:24 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

They are, as real sweet, too.

3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home