Monday, December 28, 2009

Slipping Away


We don’t ride the horses often enough at this time of year. It’s usually too rainy, cold, windy and let’s not forget the days are really short above the 45th parallel. Saturday looked like the day to go riding on the beach so we took the blankets off and put the saddles on and loaded them into the trailer.

As we approached the soccer fields on Ridge Road the engine in the truck started racing. The transmission was slipping, badly. At the risk of totally killing the truck we turned around and headed back home. It is difficult to get a tow when you have a trailer with two horses attached. The engine had to rev at a high RPM to get us going again after every stop, but we finally made it home. Today I will seek mechanical help. I’m hoping it is just a clogged filter or something simple.

Fortunately I have enough hay to last a month, but this has put a serious damper on my run to the lumber yard. I was counting on finishing some projects this week. It’s always something.

6 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

If there was any way I could be of some assistance to you with this repair job, I would. ;)

4:40 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

I'll bet the horses were disappointed. Do horses pout?


Veriword: billymet. A building full of singing goats.

6:43 AM  
Blogger Trop said...

Hope it's not an expensive repair.

6:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like the clutch if you have a manual tranny.

8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aarghh.......my cars transmission is starting to go, I keep hoping it will spontaneously heal itself.

columbiacritter

7:55 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Beth there are a couple homes down the road that are for sale.

Darev, they are only disappointed when they can't go to pasture.

Thanks, Trop. it was slightly under $500

Anon, it's automatic, full time 4-wheel drive and I had the overdrive off.

Critter, new ones cost around 3k.

It seems the transmission was OK. The fluid looked clean and was as full as it should have been. The screen didn't have a lot of junk in it. The problem they did find was a bad seal in my crank case which was squirting out oil when the engine was on. I was down three quarts. If that wasn't the problem then it is possible that the transmission is simply wearing out. I'll pick it up tonight and I'll be hauling a horse with it on Saturday.

5:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home