Thursday, December 24, 2009

The Bronze Age


Retro is getting so retro these days. We are now getting retro on things that were retro in the 50s from another period. I recall going to friends houses when I was growing up and often time you would spot a pair of bronzed baby shoes somewhere on a book shelf or a mantle.

Parents save the nuttiest stuff from their kids. In my baby book there are locks of my hair from my first haircut. Here’s a weird one, there is a lacquered wish bone from the first turkey I ever ate, which must be some sort of Irish luck thing. My mother being both Irish and superstitious (like one can be Irish without being superstitious) sealed my fate with fortune by including that wish bone in my baby book. I’m still alive, so I can’t complain.

There is now a resurgence of people getting the children’s first baby shoes bronzed and it’s actually inexpensive. The prices range from around $40 to over $500 depending on if you want precious metals or what sort of mounting you’d like.

The process is one of electroplating rather than foundry pouring. Here’s a video if you are interested.
The Bronze Age

8 Comments:

Blogger Donna. W said...

I still have my bronzed baby shoes somewhere.

5:15 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

I know someone whose parents put the BANDAIDS from his 43 year old injections as a baby in his scrapbook. When the mother in law showed it to me, she got all nostalgic as she pointed out that you could even still make out the blood spot on each one. To this day, said man gives blood to the Red Cross monthly. Don't know if there is a connection. Guess thats what happens when you are raised by a nurse.

6:00 AM  
Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

The only thing that has made it through all the moving around that I did is the hospital bracelets for T-Jay and I from Earl K. Long in Baton Rouge LA....and a bunch of papers.

6:21 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

That's odd. Just the other day I ran across a site that had a scan of an old ad from the 60's about learning how to bronze things for fun and profit. I think my parents would have been better off if they had bronzed me and raised the shoes.

7:51 AM  
Anonymous Joni said...

I have my daughters bronzed baby shoes. The hard-soled white leather shoes that pediaticians insisted putting on them as soon as they started using their feet.

Considering all of the stylish little shoes they make for babies these days, I think this is one nostalgic custom that will just go away for lack of interest.

Too bad.

3:26 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Donna, I bet I have you searching for them now.

Auntie, That's weird.

Tango, Earl K. Long? Spill girl...

Darev, it would have also helped you in your present job.

Joni, don't count anything out. Nostalgia and the retro movement are pretty powerful sales motivators.

6:01 AM  
Blogger Talk to the Bronze Shoe Guy said...

Hi All,

Let it be known that baby shoe bronzing is making a comeback! I should know...I own the original and largest bronzing company, American Bronzing.

We're seeing a resurgence of sentimental parents doing this to get lifetime keepsakes of their babies' first tiny steps.

From traditional Stride Rites to Baby Nike's...they ALL look terrific when they're preserved in real metal. Plus...we have a satisfaction guarantee (Sorry about the sales pitch. I'm just trying to spread the word.) :)

Anyway...for those of you looking to ivnvestigate having baby shoes (or any other mementos) bronzed, check out www.abcbronze.com.

7:46 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

That's a "Brazen" plug, but hey, thanks for stopping by.

3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home