Monday, December 14, 2009

And Now A Word From Our Sponsors


I don’t mind TV commercials as most people do. Not only do I find many of them often excellent examples of short films, but they also reintroduce us to music that we’ve long forgotten and overlooked for its quality. They also introduce us to things we’ve never heard.

I got interested in hearing the Electric Light Orchestra again after those Volks Wagon commercials that used Mister Blue Skies. T-Mobiles use of “If You Want to Sing Out, Sing Out” got me hunting down old Cat Stevens albums.

Sometimes it goes the other way like when iphone’s used Feist it kind of turned me off to Feist oddly because I enjoyed the indy air she had going and the commercial over exposed her.

My newest is a commercial for Dish Network or the other Satellite TV Company. It features a blond woman singing this quasi techno tune. It got my attention so the next time it came on I looked closely at the credits and I was shocked to see it was Christina Aguilera and her song, “Keeps Getting Better.” The tune was like a combination of Marilyn Manson, Nellie McKay and Kate Bush all wrapped into one. I couldn’t resist and wanted to hear more of her. Unfortunately her good stuff is far and few between her crappy stuff which is mostly Hip-Hop wanna be. I’m going to keep my eye on her because with the right producer she could be cranking out some interesting stuff instead of the Whitney Huston like crap she is known for. I’m hopeful. Check it out here.

10 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

I checked out the video. Not bad.
And while I occasionally enjoy a well-done commercial (particularly if it’s accompanied by some catchy music) for the most part I HATE them & put the controller on mute. So many make me despair of mankind.

(as does the spam comment above)

4:44 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Sorry folks but I had to turn the word verification back on. This blog is suddenly picking up a lot of spam. I'll turn it off again in a couple of weeks.

The Management

5:09 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

i watched it. sounds just like a bunch of other stuff out there now. i should know i have the queen of pop wannabes livin here with me. christina is not as bad as some of them though.

6:01 AM  
Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

Spam?? I must have jinxed you.

6:09 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

I wouldn't mind commercials so much if they only played the same ones once or twice a day. But seeing the same one ten times during an hour show gets a little thick and annoying. It turns me off the product and whatever ditty they are playing. The video wasn't as bad as I had feared. All I had ever seen of Christina before then she was just a showcase for a pair of boobs. Maybe she's actually developing some talent.

6:37 AM  
Blogger Donna. W said...

The spam has been getting worse all around. If your experience is like mine, as soon as you turn off word verification the spam will be right back. I've tried everything I know, but I've had to go with word verification all the time.

4:21 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Auntie, I guess I should ask your daughter for a list of who is interesting in the music world.

Tango, that fair after my recent comment on your blog about spam.

Darev, I hope this is a trend for her. She could easily do it with the right producer.

Donna, I'm surprised Blogger hasn't done anything about it.

5:35 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Oh Beth, I forgot you, hon. This commercial is supposed to be for satellite TV, but it seems to serve better as a commercial for her new collection.

5:38 AM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

What bothers me most about that commercial is what she's wearing. Not the hoodie, but I can't stand the spandex black leggings, the little bustierre top and the wide belt. Not a flattering look, don't care how good of shape she's in after she had her son.

3:30 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Funny, I think that no one looks good in leather pants.

5:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home