Wednesday, December 09, 2009

The Rabbit



If you look through the history of illustrated stories and cartoons you will see a lot of animals that have taken on human attributes to tell stories. There are a lot of cats and dogs because most people live with one of these. As animals get further from domestication they become less frequently used in illustration. There is however one animal that seems to appear in story telling more than most others. This is the rabbit and they appear just about everywhere.

Bugs Bunny is probably the most famous:



Then the Trix Rabbit tried cashing in on the look of Bugs:



Matt Groening's Life in Hell delivered a grotesque twist on the idea of a rabbit:



Brer Rabbit is old school:



There was Rabbit in the Winnie The Pooh adventures:


Miffy is a relative new comer to the animated rabbit scene:



Watership Down charmed a generation:



Hefner latched onto the bunny and turned it into an icon of the magazine empire:



Let's not ever forget about Ray Johnson:


10 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

You remembered the Playboy Bunny but left out Peter Rabbit!

I loved Watership Down.

5:08 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Beth, guilty, I did forget Peter Rabbit and I also left out Harvey.

5:27 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

and Roger Rabbit. But thanks for remembering Miffy. Love her.

5:52 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

You might want to watch out. It looks like your rabbits are eating your stash again. Them's some funny bunnies!

6:53 AM  
Blogger richpix said...

If you ever get a chance to see the documentary How to Draw a Bunny, I heartily recommend it. Catch a short excerpt here

12:08 PM  
Blogger g said...

Glad you got Watership down. Love that show!

You did forget The Killer Rabbit though:
http://foxyurl.com/MGV

8:15 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Auntie, right you are.

Darev, I wonder what that would do to them. It could keep them from mating every five minutes.

Rich, I agree. Great documentary. Ray was stellar as far as being creative.

g, I'm sure I missed a dozen or more, but it is amazing how many fictional rabbits there are.

5:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There was some cartoon rabbit that had green hair...can't remember its name. I loved its green hair!

8:08 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Happy Bunny! My favorite sarcastic cartoon bunny.

Speaking of rabbits, my daughters' rabbit has been trying to get busy with anything that moves. Time to get him fixed, methinks.

2:47 PM  
Blogger g said...

I forgot about another rabbit. When I was a little bitty guy (no relation), I had a rabbit named Going Going (prounounced like boing boing). One time we went on a family vacation to south dakota and I forgot him so mom stopped by a fabric shop and made one for me.

7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home