Friday, December 04, 2009

Ursula


Does anyone out there remember Ursula Ulrich? She lived in Arch Cape. She was a local artist that moved here from Switzerland. She worked in concrete and she was my friend.

I helped Ursula by building the forms for a commission she was awarded. You can see these art works at the memorial park under the bridge in Astoria. They are decorative pieces in a nautical theme in the sidewalk and in the concrete walls.

Ursula contracted pneumonia and tried to treat it with holistic medicine. Unfortunately she died within a week. I encourage everyone to get a pneumonia vaccine.

I think of Ursula often. I think of our days of eating good bread and drinking good wine. I think of her when I enter the door to my house where I have two of her piece hanging to greet visitors. I came across her photo on one of my old computers and it brought back all the memories of a dear friend.

I wonder how much she could have accomplished had she not died some fifteen years ago. She produced so much work in her short tenure as an artist.

6 Comments:

Blogger a mouthy irish woman? ridiculous! said...

sorry for you loss dear and ours...sigh.

as an asthmatic, i get the pneumococcal vaccine and highly recommend it.

5:53 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

It always makes me a bit sad and a bit angry when i hear of someone dying of something treatable like that. I was angry when Jim Henson died of the same thing. Just because he was too pig-headed to go to the doctor when he got sick. He was probably trying some herbal remedies or something just like your friend. I'll add her to my list and when I go I'll look them both up and give them a slap.

7:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never met this beautiful person but have admired her work there along the walk way under the bridge. Was her name added to the wall at the memorial?

4:44 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Heather, I got my shot this year as well.

Darev, but how often have we all figured something would get better on its own and it did.

Anon, Her name was not. We wanted to so we asked for the permission of her family in Switzerland and they didn't want her to be memorialized here. We had a service for her in Cannon Beach. Her brother was there. That was her only memorial until this post.

5:56 AM  
Blogger Desdemona Sandwich said...

I saw recently that Ursula is listed, along with Billy Hults, and others I don't recall, on a plaque in the bandstand at the Cannon Beach City Park. She was a lovely person. I miss her.

2:32 PM  
Blogger Guy said...

Hopefully Jay Schweir and John Frasier are there as well.

6:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home