Monday, December 21, 2009

Justification


Though my MP3 player was only $15 I still have to justify the purchase of it to myself and that goes like this:

When I replaced the radio/CD player in my truck last summer, there was an odd feature in the new unit I had never seen before. It has an input jack where one could plug in an MP3 player. This jack has been bugging me since I first laid eyes on it. You see, I have an entire collection of radio shows by the late Jean Shepherd that he did on WOR in the 60. Shep, I’ve written about him before, was a writer and you probably know him for the Christmas Story. You know the one about the leg lamp in the window and the kid that wants the BB Gun.

When I was growing up, Shepherd had a 45 minute radio show on WOR five and sometimes six nights a week. It was a lot like this blog where there would be a new topic every night and he would tell stories from his life experiences. I would listen to the radio with one of those old style single piece ear phones while in bed. It was theater of the mind. There I’d be in the dark with my eyes wide open as my mind was filled from the creative images Shep would paint with words.

I loaded all of his radio shows on my MP3 player and now whenever I’m in my truck I plug into that input jack and I get transported back to the early 60s. The race track bugle announces that a new Jean Shepherd show is ready to air and it all begins again.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd never heard of him, out west here, until his articles/stories started appearing in Playboy. He sure was a talented guy. Gifted story teller for sure.

6:44 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

I think that is going to be on my list for next year- a new stereo for my truck with an mp3 jack. I am tired of fiddling with cd's. But it will be after the bandsaw, tho. Gotta get one of those first.

6:46 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

i used to listen to Garrison Keillor tapes on long drives. Monologues and Prarie Home companion. I miss those days.

8:01 AM  
Blogger Trop said...

Reminds me of radio mystery theatre from the 1970s. Loved listening to that at night.

4:41 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Anon, I know how difficult it is to come up with a blog topic every day and this guy came up with a 45 minute radio show every day.

Darev, and the new ones can fit 8 gigs of data.

Auntie, I did as well. Another adventure in radio. That is a story for another day.

Trop, there is something about hearing it. It's like it goes deeper into ones mind when you have to paint your own pictures.

5:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home