Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Cock-A-Doodle-Doooo!


It’s finally happened. Our rooster, who I address and Blue, not in homage to Donna’s horse, but rather to the color of his legs; finally crowed for the first time on Saturday. He got a deep husky voice that seems to be searching for its comfort zone. I’m sure he will settle for his one voice within a week.

The hens are starting to squawk like they are thinking of laying. They are getting really henny. I have their next boxes blocked off to prevent them from claiming them as sleeping boxes. I’m waiting to have an egg turn up somewhere before I open it for use. I’m expecting some action now that it’s warmed up. I relieved that I no longer have to keep heat lamps glowing in their coop to prevent their water from freezing.

Unfortunately I can expect to be awakened from my naps with the sounds of hens laying and a rooster proclaiming his ownership of flock and territory.

7 Comments:

Blogger Donna. W said...

I love chicken sounds. I even like guinea sounds, and they drive most people nuts.

4:19 AM  
Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

I can live with chickens and roosters, but I can't stand the sound of guinea hens. I lived in a house in Opelousas, Louisiana where my neighbors had chickens, guinea hens, turkeys and geese. The turkeys would fly on to of the tin roof, the geese would hang out in the craws space, the guinea hens would walk around and around the house, and the chickens would sleep on my car. I worked night shift and they drove me nutsl

4:37 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

I loved that word, "henny". I want to use it today at work.

5:42 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

That made me want to say "They are getting henny, young man!"

Hee hee hee!

Ok, I know, it's early.

6:25 AM  
Blogger a mouthy irish woman? ridiculous! said...

blue :)

5:56 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Donna, to me guinea hens sound like monkeys fighting.

Tango, I think you could use a couple of chickens. They could live under your home.

Auntie, did you use it?

Darev, take my rooster, please.

Heather, Yes, Blue.

5:19 AM  
Blogger Sunflower said...

It's kind of like the happiness I felt when my puppy lifted his leg for the first time.

1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home