Thursday, December 17, 2009

Pididtile



That was pronounced as “Ped-it-tel” and it was a noun that meant an automobile with one burned out head lamp. I’ve always prided myself on quickly replacing burned out head lamps, though in my nearly 40 years of car ownership I’ve probably only replaced four head lamps.

I replaced both head lamps in the truck last year. Since then I think I had some weird surge that messed up the electrical system in the truck because in the last year I’ve had trouble with the CD player the directional lamps, the switched and motors for the power windows and the head lamps.

I’ve replaced all the broken stuff, but I was left with one mystery. My head lamp worked on the drivers’ side however it would often blink off and then blink back on down the road. If I wiggled the wires it would go back on. So I decided to replace the harness that hooks into the bulb, and that fixed it for a week, but then the low bean would work just fine, but the high beam would turn itself off after being on for only a minute or so. I tested it over a week or so and then I determined it was a heat problem, so I replaced the bulb and it all works fine now. It seems that the heat from the lamp made the filaments inside expand enough to turn itself off.

It’s nice to have brights again.

5 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

That was one of the good things about when we were living down south. We were good friends with a back woods country mechanic from Tennessee who could fix anything. He sounded and acted like an extra from Hee-Haw but had a mind like a steel trap when it came to automobiles.

6:22 AM  
Blogger richpix said...

We used to call them "padiddles." You must be from Jersey. ;-)

3:09 PM  
Anonymous pam said...

my dad used to call them "popeye" if we he saw someone coming at him with one headLIGHT.

4:36 PM  
Anonymous Danielle said...

Funny. Have not heard that word since high school.

10:11 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, it certainly is a gift.

Rich, Yep, Jerseyites play fast and lose with the language.

Pam, I've found that hear "headlight" means a light house.

Danielle, Back then it was also a kiss generator.

7:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home