Friday, December 25, 2009

Forgotten


I was recently asked what my all-time favorite Christmas present was. Though we haven’t participated in Christmas since the kids moved on their own and we haven’t looked back, I had a hard time recalling any gifts I have ever gotten. I could remember interesting things I have given to others because I always went overboard, but I had a hard time remembering anything memorable that came my way.

I finally remembered three things in over 50 years. I remembered the tricycle I got when I was four years old. Next I remember a toy that I got when I was about 7 years old. It was called Form X-7 and that was a kit that melted wax and you could pour them into forms. Now that I think of it I wonder how that wax came out so clean without using a release lubricant on the forms. Next I remembered my sister got me the first Crosby Stills and Nash album when it first came out.

I’m sure I had received things that were memorable, but I don’t recall if they were Christmas, birthday or spontaneous gifts. I am very fond of a tool kit and a miter saw I’ve received in the past. I still use them often.

Anyway, if you are still doing all this Christmas stuff, please make an effort to remember the kindness of others even if their gifts are destined for the land fill.

8 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

I mostly remember the books. They are and always have been my favorite present. They toys and doodads are fun but they usually just end up clogging up a shelf somewhere. My office now looks like some mad toymakers den. But the books reign supreme. Merry Xmas, ya old curmudgeon.

8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The best Christmas present I ever got as a kid was rocket kit in about '62. You don't see them any more for some reason. You filled the rockets half full of water then pumped in as much air as you could. Man those things would fly high. The big one had two stages and capsule on top that would release and parachute down if everything worked right. That Christmas was a sunny one like today and man did we have fun.

9:17 AM  
Anonymous Ann Samuelson said...

Thanks for bringing up the word kindness, I like that...my best to you and yours! It's frosty out here on the other side of the mountain, but the feelings are good, that's what matters most.

10:18 AM  
Blogger richpix said...

monfubb

That was what I had to put in the word verification box.

So, Happy monfubb!

10:43 AM  
Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

LOL.....nothing going into the landfill here and nothing in the closet. Got lots of hugs, lots of laughter and lots of food. Best holiday ever!!! :)

5:04 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Socks. I request socks every gift giving occasion. Hell, yeah....fresh new fluffy socks.

8:16 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, I've always called books expensive wallpaper. I really need to go through and thin my collection, again.

Anon, it's a wonder those things didn't explode considering the pressure and how brittle that plastic was.

Ann, that reminds me that I need to come buy some more hay from some of your neighbors on that side of the mountain. I hope the warmth of your recent trip lasts you through the rest of your cold winter up there.

Rich, doesn't Monfubb happen on Monday?

Tango, you're easy to shop for if all it takes is a hug a meal and some tickling.

Amy, when did socks become the major gift? There are mobs of people shopping for socks every black Friday. I just don't recall when they became the "it" gift. Though they are useful and don't cost all that much.

5:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think my favorite gifts have actually been gifts cards that I could buy what I really wanted or needed. Oh I've gotten a few nice things, the hubby got me a couple nice coats over the years. Good music is always a great present, I laid in bed last night listening to a new CD I know I will replay many times over the years.

What I really hate getting is useless knick knacks that are nothing but clutter. And yeah I take the blame for Darevs toy clutter, but at least those are fun clutter. A member of my family gives nothing but cutesy clutter that generally goes straight in into the goodwill box.

columbiacritter

8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home