Sunday, January 03, 2010

Acting Your Age


I though back to when I was a kid of 16 years of age. I lived in a New Jersey town right across the state line from New York. When I was 16 the legal drinking age in New Jersey was 21, but in New York it was 18, so we would pick which of us kids looked the eldest and send them into a NY state mom and pop store with cash to buy a couple quarts of beer. Then we’d hang out by the Ramapo River drinking casually, not getting drunk, but rather enjoying the forbidden fruit of youth.

This came to mind because I was out with two friends the other day. We were checking out a horse up near Scappoose and on the return trip home we stopped for a bite at a roadside family restaurant. While presenting the menus the waitress pointed out to me and my male friend at the table that if we were over 55 we could order off the senior menu. He is in his 60’s; I am 54, but I figured if they suspect I’m old enough for a senior discount, I’m going to go for it.

It’s just funny that 38 years ago I was faking my age to buy beer and now I’m faking my age so I can get French Toast for $4.25 off the senior menu.

6 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

So that's why you listen to that horrible music, isn't it? Trying to look younger? Faking your age in reverse? You shameless old coot.


veri word: tainveri- A latin phrase meaning your verification system is tainted

6:16 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

Holy Sock Monkeys, I have to get my Monster-In-Law one of those hats.

I'm with Rev. Coot!

veri: "undsem" - a little used form of punctuation that is a combination of semi-colon and underwear

7:52 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

Bananas,Mary and Joseph......I just realized you ATE in front of someone in public AGAIN.

Sheesh, you feeling okay?


veri: "sictis" - a fictional sickness

7:54 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

I *feel* over 55. That has to count for something.....

11:20 AM  
Anonymous jb said...

The first time that happened to me I was in my late 50s and some young kid at the movie theater automatically gave me the senior citizen rate. I was really insulted and upset, but when I realized how much I saved, I quickly changed my mind and went for it every time. I did feel better when I turned 62 (the "legal" theater Sr. age)!

6:05 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, It isn't horrible. You just haven't heard the good stuff yet. Too young.

Auntie, only when they looked away.

Amy, not when you look as young as you do.

JB, I think I could pass for 62 if I tried, but then I haven been to a theater since F-911 came out. That was five or six years ago.

5:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home