Sunday, January 10, 2010

Impulse


One thing that comes with ageing, for me at least, is a lessening of the urge to make rash decisions. I won’t suggest that I procrastinate, but rather weigh and consider until the time is neigh.

When I was young I was a marketers dream. I recall once driving by a Subaru dealership that was having some sort of an event with food where I pulled in and left with a new car two hours later. I had no intention of buying a new car an hour previous to pulling into that dealership.

I recall back when I was collecting records I’d buy music because I liked the name of the band or performer, or I liked the cover art while having no idea what their stuff sounded like.

Maybe it was because I had an enormous amount of disposable income back then. Now I’m financially less well off, but I’ve also been there, done that and the T-shirt has been used as a shop rag for years. Still the urge strikes me from time to time. My eldest step-son visited us this week. He was showing off his new Droid. It’s a very cool open source phone that has free apps and it runs WiFi and it’s just really cool. Immediately after he left I checked them out on-line, but I didn’t buy one.

I have become one of those people that can go into Costco and leave without spending more than $25. I do it all the time. It makes me wonder just how much money I wasted on impulse in my lifetime.

7 Comments:

Blogger weese said...

wow. you impulse purchase a car.
you win.
we have impulsed a dog, large screen TV and ... oh wait.
we did impulse that Jeep.

5:35 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Eeeeee..... those impulses. I went out one day and ended up with a wife, a house, two dogs and about a zillion kids. Now I mostly stay inside.



veri word: dessnest- in a group of new parents, the ones who most smell like a diaper bag.

6:16 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Ok, now that's a problem!

6:37 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

I bought something on impulse at Lunar Boy last night. Might have had to do with the beverages consumed first.


veri: "boteraze" - BOTOX for your ASS

7:32 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Weese, Glad I'm not the only one.

Darev, had you taken the time to think it over...

Jeff, not really since out of town inlaws visit who either don't have a card or want to avoid Washington sales tax. They've racked up probably 2k on my executive membership so far. I haven't spent much personally.

Auntie, you are such a good art neighbor.

5:28 AM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

I often think about the money I've wasted over my life. On things that I no longer have even. It makes me a little ill, especially since we're often so dang broke now, so I try not to think of it.

2:22 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Mo3 Add to that when you buy future landfill for your kids.

5:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home