Saturday, January 23, 2010

Oh No You Don't!


As you may know, I originally came from the east coast; New Jersey to be precise. One thing I do miss about living there was the cultural diversity. Here there is mostly people of Scandahovian heritage, and most of those are third and fourth generation. The next closest thing a foreign heritage here are Californians. Their ideas and cultures are way and I mean way different, though they think they fit in they often don’t but still seem to achieve acceptance by the welcoming locals.

Back East it wasn’t uncommon to meet someone that didn’t speak English. Somehow it was never a problem. I’ve had haircuts by immigrants that just stepped off the boat. The steel mill in town hired several people that just arrived from Poland and Russia. The Greeks came over in droves and learned to speak the language by waiting tables.

When one went to a Pizza Parlor you could expect to hear a mix of English and Italian. In fact that’s how many of us learned how to speak a rudimentary version of Italian. And by the way, for you Orgonians, the word it It-Talian not Eye-Talian.

Pizza was simple in New Jersey. Each Parlor had a distinctive crust, but that was it. There was no deep dish pizza and no white sauce pizza. If you were lucky you could get Calzone, but that was as exotic as it got. Your choice of toppings were: onion, peppers, sausage, olives, mushroom, pepperoni and meatball. Anchovies were also an option though I’ve never actually met anyone that had them on their pizza.

We could be tolerant of a lot of things back then. We could accept vast cultures, but the resistance that met the new craze of the Hawaiian Pizza was astounding. Following shortly on its heals was the Mexican Pizza, yet another abomination. I came to accept these pizzas and even order the Hawaiian from time to time, however I recently saw a pizza on Tango’s Blog that has me drawing a line as to what I will accept as legitimate. The photo above is of the macaroni and cheese pizza. That is just unnatural. How dare they?

18 Comments:

Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

LOL...my father thought that Pizza in itself was unnatural. How could people eat pancakes with tomato, meat and cheese.

4:19 AM  
Blogger Irish Gumbo said...

Hawaiian Pizza = just wrong

So macaroni and cheese pizza approaches the level of blasphemy!

What's wrong with people? Ai yi yi...

6:36 AM  
Blogger heather kathleen said...

take the skirt off and eat the damn pizza. big baby.

7:28 AM  
Anonymous Pamela said...

MY EFFING GOD ! Mac and Cheese pizza is surely the first sign of the coming apocalypse......

8:04 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Now if it was made with real Kraft macaroni & cheese instead of the generic elbowy stuff, it might be edible. How about bacon cheeseburger pizza? Spinach? Turkey? Ham and cheese? Steak and shrimp? Mmmmmmmm......

Veri word: Lenona- A type of hairless Llama.

8:07 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Tango, I bet he would have eaten it had it been covered with red cabbage.

Irish, it might just be it unraveling of society itself.

Big baby? And what would happen if someone were to fix you a cup of coffee with skim milk?

Pamela, I'm seeing four horsemen coming down the road right now, and one of them has my horse. WTF?

Darev, that reply is so un-midwest. You need to repent.

10:21 AM  
Blogger richpix said...

If you haven't seen it, and even if you have in the past, I recommend watching the movie Big Night You won't regret it.

10:44 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

that is one of my favorite food movies of all times........

12:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband recently was offered a slice of baked potato pizza. He said it was nasty.

I myself like some different pizzas. BBQ chicken, Thai, taco, and yes, even some white sauce pizzas.

If you refuse to eat anything different or new you're missing a lot of damn good food. Last night we had sauted pumpkin slices in a spicy curry sauce with chicken over jasmine rice. Major yum, but you narrow minded eaters probably can't see eating pumpkin in anything but a pie.

columbiacritter

4:20 PM  
Blogger weese said...

My people, a short, round island people (that island under the boot)- liked their pizza simple too. and despite what many americans think - spiced were used minimally...including garlic

5:46 AM  
Blogger weese said...

I meant... spices (not spiced).
Time for my morning cocktail.

5:47 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Rich, I love food movies.

Critter. yeah, yeah, yeah, Boy are you and your brother cut from the same cloth. I still say Mac and Cheese pizza is unnatural.

Weese, it's your people that invented it and the Americans ever since have attempted to out-do perfection.

6:14 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Ok, even I have to admit that my sister is weird. I think alot of it is that strange little dude from Ohio she married.

6:40 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

*hangs head*

I've tried the mac and cheese pizza. (and liked it!)

Although, to be fair, I don't say no to many foods...heh.....

2:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Darev is a picky eater who hates most veggies and last I heard can't take hot spices. We used to be able to make him scream by throwing black olives at him.

I think he lived off kraft mac n' cheese and green goddess salad dressing on crackers for years.

Saying all that he still is willing to eat more variety than his wife or daughter.

6:41 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Amy, Ewwww.

Darev and Critter, I'm enjoying this sibling rivalry.

7:17 PM  
Blogger Nulaanne said...

I make a mac and cheese pizza, and for kids who won't eat any thing they will eat that. Mine is not that bad.

5:17 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Sorry, I still won't go there. I still shudder at the thought.

5:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home